Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 02-01-2013, 03:12 PM

Default what wt rod

I'm looking at buying a new rod and wanted to see what wt others are using for different types of water. I have a 4wt for smokeys and 8wt for bass and flats ,am considering a 6wt for tailwaters/bass and ultra light salt.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdog View Post
I'm looking at buying a new rod and wanted to see what wt others are using for different types of water. I have a 4wt for smokeys and 8wt for bass and flats ,am considering a 6wt for tailwaters/bass and ultra light salt.
Based on your description - a 6wt would fit the bill IMO if you intend to use it for tailwater trout and bass. I typically fish a 5 on the tailwaters and my bass rod is an older Orvis 6wt.

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Old 02-01-2013, 04:47 PM

I really like a 6wt for a great all purpose light bass and tailwater trout rod. throwing mid size poppers and light streamers , it performs great. Nymph rigs with strike indicators or hopper patterns on a breezy tailwater are simple. I purchased a TFO BVK 6wt with the full wells grip last year about this time and have enjoyed catching trout, smallmouth, bream on it. It is so light in the hand and the full wells grip is very comfortable. I like the way I can still cast a long distance from a sitting position in my canoe and yet it still makes bluegill feel like a good fight with the rod. the fighting butt is small and nice for storing the rod across the seats with the reel allowed to hang down. I think it would a great light salt rod.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:02 PM

have the 4wt bvk and really like it so the 6 would also be a bvk. is that the konic reel, how do you like it? that was going to be one of my reel choices
Old 02-01-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdog View Post
have the 4wt bvk and really like it so the 6 would also be a bvk. is that the konic reel, how do you like it? that was going to be one of my reel choices
Yes, its a lamson konic 3.5. fantastic drag and at a price that you can afford to buy extra spools and put a sinktip or full sink line on it when needed.
The lamson guru would be a nice fit also and its fully machined. I have this one loaded with a 6wt rio clouser line.

I bet it would be fun to fish for peacock bass and large bream in the FL canals with this rod.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:21 PM

I like my 3 wt for the smokies 5 wt for larger water and my 7 wt for tailwaters and light bass/saltwater