Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 04-08-2013, 08:37 AM

Default The Tailing Reds are Back in Beaufort, SC!

I had the opportunity to go fishing with my friend Bryan Bowers yesterday, and with the weather warming a little and the wind really blowing it was decided that trying to find a tailing fish on the high tide would be our best opportunity. We pulled Bryan's boat up on a flat once the water came up enough to get back to it, and we waded a nice flat. I cast to one turtle who had its back out like a redfish before I figured out what it was. It was getting late and the sun was setting so Bryan started poling the boat off of the flat.....is that a redfish about 100 yards away? I think so.

We got closer and there were at least three fish tailing. The one I was keyed on was tailing hard, and was the closest fish. I did not have the best angle, the fish was quartering away from me, but I laid the cast out with a new fly I had tied....and fish on!

I call it John's LC (Low Country) Flea.

It was a nice fish over 25 inches that was very red and bright. That fish had me so excited I was breathing hard and shaking by the time I landed it.

The reds are starting to tail, and the cobia should be showing up in the broad soon!
Old 04-08-2013, 11:00 AM

Thumbs up Keep them coming

I always enjoy your reports. I keep telling myself that someday I'm going to make it to the ocean to fish. But, I have to drive by so many other oportunities to get there. Keep the reports comings.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:02 PM

John - Is your friend Bryan Bowers the autoharp player?

steve
Old 04-09-2013, 06:43 AM

Man, I got to try that the next time I down your way. I bet it is a blast trying to land those Reds...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 04-11-2013, 10:24 AM

Good to see the salt report back up and active. Great fish.
Lynn
Old 04-11-2013, 03:43 PM

Not sure on the autoharp (not even sure what it is myself). He does do some writing for various fishing magazines. He is the author of the article with my flies in it that was in the Jan/Feb 2013 American Angler issue.

Shawn,
When they are tailing on a high tide flat it is like having the best of bird hunting and fly fishing on the same trip. Stalking that tailing fish really gets the heart rate pumping.

John