Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-24-2013, 12:43 PM

Default Buffalo Fish or Carp on The Clinch??

Since I am new to the Clinch there are a lot of things I do not know. I spoke to a guy earlier in the week and he mentioned something about "buffalo carp" which after some research I realize the buffalo fish is commonly mistaken for carp and vice-versa.

This is why I am asking.
Last night I fished from about 6:30 till dark. My 5th or 6th cast I hooked into something that had to be pretty heavy.

I was fishing a dry with a midge dropper and as soon as it hit the dry it took off going away from me and snapped my line right at the leader/tippet and shot the line right back in my face. Never really saw anything but the initial take and then the line in my face.

A few hours later I hooked into another larger fish on a 22 zebra. I knew right away it was a heavy fish and I was able to see it after about 30 seconds and my initial thought was a big brown. After about a minute of fighting with it, it must have seen me and shot back away from me and tossed the fly. I had it within 10 yards and saw its belly which was at least 2-3 inches wide and from what I could tell it was a brownish grey color.

About 15 minutes later something made a huge splash just a few feet from me and before I could get turned around there were two or three more that swam right passed me creating all kinds of noise and splashing. (Scared the crap out of me!) It was right at dark and I never got a good look at what it was. Just know there were three or four of them. What could it be? Small mouth? Buffalo? Carp?

Now I'll shut up and listen. (or read)
Old 05-24-2013, 01:15 PM

You might have been in the middle of a buffalo love fest, do not wear cologne next time!

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"
Old 05-24-2013, 04:22 PM

Probably Carp. I have been fishing the Clinch my entire life, and I haven't seen Buffalo, but that doesn't mean their not there. I have seen and caught many of Buffalo on the Holston River. If you catch one you should be able see a big difference in coloration. Most Buffalo I have caught are extremely dark on their entire body and have more of a football shape.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:13 PM

The Clinch is full of buffalo, the ratio of buffalo to carp is probably 10:1, but there are a few carp around as there is everywhere. It's just he buffalo are more numerous by far.

This time of year the river carpsuckers (specific species) run up stream and spawn in the shoals above the bridge.

However you could also find buffalo spawning now, a little early but they could start anytime.

You could have also hooked a large trout as well.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
The Clinch is full of buffalo, the ratio of buffalo to carp is probably 10:1, but there are a few carp around as there is everywhere. It's just he buffalo are more numerous by far.

This time of year the river carpsuckers (specific species) run up stream and spawn in the shoals above the bridge.

However you could also find buffalo spawning now, a little early but they could start anytime.

You could have also hooked a large trout as well.
Where do you see the Buffalo at? I primarily wade off of several private properties, and I know you have floated the river thousands of times. I have not had the luxury of seeing buffalo, and I love to hunt the buffalo on the fly these upcoming weeks.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:13 PM

Waterwolf is probably spot on. I was between the bridge and the church.

It seems to be right at dark when they start moving. Could be the full moon as well. I know it plays a roll for largemouth moving off the beds.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippet View Post
Where do you see the Buffalo at? I primarily wade off of several private properties, and I know you have floated the river thousands of times. I have not had the luxury of seeing buffalo, and I love to hunt the buffalo on the fly these upcoming weeks.
I see the buffalo scattered all up and down the river, I usually don't fish very often above Peach Orchard, but from there all the way down I see them constantly while wading or floating. I wade at Coldwater and 3 miles below Coldwater primarily, and there are plenty in those areas. I usually see a few more carp the closer to 61 I get or close to the major creeks which flow into the river.

I have only accidently caught buffalo on a flies, and never on the Clinch. I have had them turn up on the Holston but never been able to get them to eat anything. Carp on the other hand, I have targeted and caught by the truckloads over the years.

How are you getting the Buffalo to eat? I have force fed them (snagged) but never cast to one and actually had it eat. They are vegetarians and I would love to know your secrets, as I have failed miserably in my pursuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerG10 View Post
Waterwolf is probably spot on. I was between the bridge and the church.

It seems to be right at dark when they start moving. Could be the full moon as well. I know it plays a roll for largemouth moving off the beds.
I don't know what kicks off the river carpsucker spawn, but it happens every year down on the lower end. There will be times when the whole river is a thrashing mass of them, and they lay millions of eggs, which the trout have been known to key on from time to time

I saw a few yesterday around Coldwater, they weren't spawning but I would say they are starting their push and could easily be going down low.

Tags
buffalo, carp