Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 06-26-2013, 01:36 PM

Default First backcountry trip

Last weekend two of my sons and I made a quick one night trip to CS 93 at Twentymile Creek for our first back country trip. It was our first time in that area. We hiked in on Friday. I am pretty embarrassed at the poor quality of the pictures but, you will at least get the idea.

The water was a little high but, the creek was pretty.

we set up a quick camp.

My youngest son got started fishing and got this one on his first cast.

Then a few more like these.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:10 AM

Smile

Looks like you made a good choice for camping. While your water was high, you would have been blown out on many streams. I fished the lower section last year that had an awful storm knock down a ton of trees. I take it from your report that it was ok upstream? Also how was the campsite? Looks like a good place to hike in my twins
Old 06-27-2013, 10:04 AM

with all the rain the water levels could have been a lot worse. There were still a lot of trees down from last year on the lower levels but, upstream was clear of trees. plenty of rhodo but, no trees.
the campsite was great! easy hike in at 1.8 miles. plenty of firewood down in the area. the picture at the top of my post shows the beginning of a pool that forms right next to the campsite. made a great place to take a swim. i made the boys wait until we had fished it before they could swim though. our best fish came from that spot.
i would highly recommend it for your twins.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:53 PM

Looks like a great trip with great memories made. We are always looking for relatively easy hikes to backcountry sites, so this one is definitely getting on our list. How was the drive to the parking area before the hike in?
Old 06-27-2013, 04:07 PM

This was my first experience on the dragon. It was very slow and very curvy. On the way out my son counted the motorcycles. He was at 267 when we got to the end.

I really liked the campsite and will definitely return. We had the entire site to ourselves and only saw a few people on the trail passing by. And the fishing was good.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:45 PM

The only downside about that site in my opinion is the proximity to the trail. Not the prettiest in smokies but one of the easiest, for sure.