Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-30-2013, 06:54 PM

Talking Fish On with Float On

Joel (Float On) had posted in the Hook-up thread about wanting to make a trip to Greenbrier this weekend which I responded, and while the water was a little on the high side for Greenbrier (1.6 at Bridge where 1.8 is good kayaking low) we did get to do some Smoky Mountain fishing

Sorry ChemAngler. I was a bit of a pick-pocket and stole one of the three secret streams you keep in your back pocket, and took Float On there

Don't worry I swore him to secrecy Is that enough to get me a pardon?

We hiked in uphill to the put-in. Joel was feeling it, and said he needed do some more Smokies trips to get in shape. Once we hit the trail intersection it was down hill to the creek. Once there I hit a few pools as Joel rigged up.

And a minute later

Usually it's Freddie who is all rigged up fishing while I'm still getting ready. It pays to be rigged up

Am I the only one who notices the Bee Balm in the Smokies smell a lot different from what grows in my garden?

Joel finally got rigged up, and it wasn't too long before he had this nice fish to hand

For me it was Hammertime

Joel soon had another decent fish to hand. Not too bad for a newby

Will Continue in another post after dinner
Old 06-30-2013, 07:05 PM

Smile Continued

Beautiful little stream, and one that wasn't too full

In a little while we were catching more of these guys

Although this guy was still every here and there

Then something that rarely happens to me in the Smokies. A huge Brookie came up and grabbed my dry fly and broke my 5X Could get him to rise again, and I really wanted my neversink and yellowhammer back

Back to my pink hackle weenie

Then the big boys started coming out

Will Continue
Old 06-30-2013, 07:14 PM

Talking Continued

You know the fishing good when you are constantly having to reapply Frogs Fanny

Couldn't ask for a better stream

Time to get in touch with your roots

They kept coming

Hard to leave

Saw a snail gorging on a mushroom on the way out

Then saw a daddy longlegs carrying off a dead grasshopper

A great day in a great place. Joel I hope you had a good day, I know I did
Old 06-30-2013, 08:37 PM

Default Great Report and Great Fish!

Awesome report Duckypaddler! Looks like you all sore lipped some good ones. When things settle down in the next couple of weeks, I am looking forward to fishing together. Glad you guys had a great day!
Old 06-30-2013, 08:52 PM

No worries Ducky. It isn't much of a secret, but I do keep it in mind when I am afraid that other streams my be overcrowded. Glad you guys had some luck, and good report.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 06-30-2013, 09:50 PM

First off I want to thank Ducky for my best day of fishing in the park to date. That was one beautiful stream and packed with fish to boot.

The hike up got me winded. Wasn't in as good of shape as I thought. I had to slow my pace a little.

Ducky took most of the pictures for the day but I did manage to get the phone out and take a few.

Nice Rainbow caught in a fairly small run. Surprised me a little on his size.

Nice Rainbow for Ducky

Its amazing how much you learn from someone with experience. There was plenty of times that I just hung back and watched. He pointed out spots to fish that I would have skipped if I was solo. Caught a few out of those spots too. I ran with a Never Sink all day. I probably should have jumped in with a dropper nymph too.

All in all I had a great day and walking away knowing a little more. Can't ask for anything better.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:38 PM

Looks like an awesome day! And the water was at a pretty good level too. That's one nice looking Brookie!
Old 07-01-2013, 08:44 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
Looks like an awesome day! And the water was at a pretty good level too. That's one nice looking Brookie!
Thanks! Water was perfect, even lower than I expected. It pays to know how to interpret stream gauges, rain gauges, and more importantly radar graphics

While it wasn't the best thing to see that the stream at Greenbrier (1.6) too high, it was exactly what rainfall graphics predicted. As I'm transitioning my skill set from just stream and rain gauges to mostly rainfall data, it was nice to see that it actually works

Since I didn't share the stream name, I'll let my fellow forum members in on the best way to predict where to go. Only caveat is that if we both show up at the same stream, you have to give it to me

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge2/RFC_Precip/

Now just click and zoom in. No more downloading KMZ file to open in Google earth. Breaks down by days, hours, etc.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:47 AM

Nice website! thanks
Old 07-01-2013, 08:33 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
No worries Ducky. It isn't much of a secret, but I do keep it in mind when I am afraid that other streams my be overcrowded. Glad you guys had some luck, and good report.
I was just being sarcastic I have no idea what 3 streams you don't talk about, but wouldn't doubt if it actually was one of them. I do know that this is one of many peoples favorites, and since it doesn't get much pressure will keep quiet though