Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 08-15-2013, 07:47 PM

Default West Prong up from the Chimney's Picnic Area

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum (actually I've been eves dropping for a year) and I am spending more and more time in the park fishing. I'm originally from Dalton, GA but now live in Birmingham. I grew up camping and fishing in GSMNP but just recently am reconnecting and doing lots of fly fishing! My question is about the stretch of the Little Pigeon up from the Chimney's area. I want to fish this section in a couple of weeks but I'm worried about getting down in there by myself. I'm in good shape, I have spent lots of time in the woods, but I still find myself hesitating and looking to maybe spend a day way up on the Little River. I have all day to fish. Can anybody shed some light on exactly HOW BAD it really is in there, and conversely HOW GOOD it can really be for the person who makes his way up through there. I've gotten some really good advice from a local guide who I trust and he's warned me and also given me some safeguards to follow if I insist on going there. I think it would be great, but I don't want to get into a bad situation or just simply be stupid about it. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:28 PM

cbryant,

my family is from Dalton and Chatsworth. Shoot me an email.

breckdavis100@gmail.com
Old 08-15-2013, 09:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

totally do able in a day. Some big rocks, a little hopping, a little shimmying up a car size rock here or there, but do able. Great for 2 people, but one person is fine too. I would have a person with a definite time to hear from me. This way if something does happen you are not stranded any longer than you have to be. start at 8 am and you can be to the big turn around parking lot on the bend in an easy 8 hours. That may require you to pass up some lesser holes and fish only the best ones towards the end of the trip. The fishing can be great. I would expect to catch over 50 fish, but could easily by 75 or more, some of which should be at least 10in. Mostly rainbows. There is the occasion brook tossed inhere and there but they are farther and fewer between in that stretch. I definitely like that stretch in low water. The bigger ricks make deeper pools.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:41 PM

Thanks 2weightfavorite. What do you mean by "you can be to the big turn around parking lot on the bend." I'm just wondering if I am pacing myself to be at the chimney's trail by days end or is there some other place that I can access the road. I know there's construction through there. Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:52 AM

If you find a GPS, contact duckypaddler
Old 08-16-2013, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
If you find a GPS, contact duckypaddler
I just purchased one just for the occasion. I will definitely keep a lookout. Thanks everyone for the feedback.