Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-21-2013, 02:44 PM

Default First Trip

Well it seems as if I'm following a trend here lately. I'll be making a trip to the park in October. I'll be arriving in Gatlinburg on the 16th and have the 17th and 18th to fish. This trip will be a first for me trout fishing as well as first time fishing in the park. I'm a horrible caster that's self taught and have spent most of my time fishing still water (ponds/lakes). However, this will be the first of an annual trip from here on out and I was hoping I could get some pointers on some locations that are well suited for beginners. I know I'll be fighting the tourists but any and all help will be appreciated. And as any trip to that area, I'll be making a stop at LRO.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:39 AM

bmadd,

If staying on the TN side and just getting started with learning the smokies I would recommend researching two areas. Elkmont & Tremont water sheds.

Both these locations allow you to get off the main roads but very close and easy to locate from the Gatlinburg area. Both hold great fishing opportunities, allow for plenty of room to cast your fly and there is enough water that you can fish all week and move upstream and away from other fisherman until your heart is content.

easy to locate, lots of water to fish, plenty of room, and plenty of fish.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the response Mac. Those sound like the kind of places I need to get my feet wet.

Speaking of that, I need to purchase some sort of wading boot/shoe for this trip. I'm looking to keep cost around $100 and I'm trying to decide if I want to opt for a boot or shoe style. Most of my wading will be wet wading done in rivers in west and middle tn (mainly gravel, very little slick stones) with at least an annual trip to the park. I'm looking at the Chota Abrams Creek as well as the Chota Middle Fork shoes and the Korkers shoes. Anyone have any insight? Any other gear tips would be appreciated as well.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:58 AM

bmadd,

As you already pointed out I think LRO will be able to help you with all your fly fishing gear needs. You might want to give them a phone call before hand and see that they have your sizes and models your interested in. They will be able to give you some ideas of other equipment to think about before your visit.

One other good thing is if your staying in Gatlinburg and visiting LRO you will be driving right past the Elkmont area. This is where I would start. You could easily spend a week in this area.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:51 PM

That is why Elkmont is my favorate campground. Centrally located to lots of good streams.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:41 PM

Personally, I would go with boots for the ankle protection. A person can get hurt wading streams.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:21 PM

I would add a recommendation that hiring a guide, even if it is just for a half day, would be extremely helpful to your success rate in catching fish. If this is your first trip or you have limited experience in the mountains, a guide will drastically shorten the learning curve.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://troutzoneanglers.com
http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com

Old 08-23-2013, 12:33 PM

Are there any good maps online that show the roads and stream names? I've tried looking at the GSMNP map on the NPS website and it's not very detailed.

Thanks for all the tips. Money will be a little tight since I have to stock up on some extra gear for this trip but I've looked in to possibly a half day trip with a guide. I'll give more thought to that.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:17 PM

JoeFred,

This gentleman is looking for some stream maps of the smokes, do you know anyone that could help.

bmadd,

You might want to check out LRO forum user JoeFred, Mr. Fred Turner at SmokyStreams.com. I think everyone from this forum is familiar his maps. Would not be surprised if LRO sells them as well.

Personally, for what you need I could not think of a better fly fishing, trail map of the smokes.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:14 AM

Looks like my trip is nearing, maybe the park will be more easily accessed next Thursday/Friday. What are some recommendations for things I need to make sure and bring with me? Thanks in advance.