Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-30-2013, 11:21 PM

Default Barbless?

Thoughts on the barbless hook concept? Does it really hurt the fish to have a barbed hook? Any research on this?
Old 08-31-2013, 12:54 AM

Accidentally hook yourself a couple of times in the back of the head due to errant casting, etc., and barbless begins to make a lot of sense... And yes it is a lot easier on the fish as well.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 08-31-2013, 05:01 AM

I support barb-less and crushed barbed hooks. Notice that trout get spun many times during the fight after the take. This can cause disastrous damage to a trout's mouth if a barb is involved.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 08-31-2013, 06:51 AM

I agree & support the last 2 post.

Grumpy
Old 08-31-2013, 06:56 AM

oops
Grumpy
Old 08-31-2013, 08:22 AM

I'm not saying that barbless is not a good idea, but I am barbed hooks 100% of the time, my choice.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:32 AM

I always use smashed barbs or barbless. Easier on the fish, easier on my fingers, easier to unhook, etc.
Tad
Old 08-31-2013, 12:09 PM

I really don't know if using having barbs on the hook really cause that much harm to the fish. I suppose it may depend on the size of the hook and the fish.

I do think the ease in which a barbless or hook or one with the barb crushed down comes out aids in speedily releasing the trout which certainly aids in the trouts recovery. I also know from personal experience removing a barbed hook from ones self is much more uncomfortable then removing a barbed hook.

Plus having barbless hooks aids in removing the hook from ropes, clothing nets ect. Perhaps I am the only one who does this but in a days fishing, some worse then others, I always manage to hook something else other then a fish!
Old 08-31-2013, 12:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

dry handing fish is so much worse and causes much more damage than a barb ever will...I use barbs except when I accidently buy barbless, and some style competition hooks only come barbless but have longer sweeping hook points. I don't think it matters much to barb or not to barb...
Old 08-31-2013, 01:05 PM

I tend to go barbless or de-barbed for the reasons listed above. I usually mash the barb before I put the hook in the vise when I'm tying, so if I buy flies from a shop or get some via a swap, I'll often forget to mash the barb when I tie it on and end up with a barbed hook on my line. I'll generally notice it when I hook a fish, myself, or my vest, pant leg, etc. and then mash it immediately thereafter (if not while trying to extract it). And unless I plan to photograph the fish, I will usually release it by just grasping the fly and giving it a little twist so the fish comes off without having to be handled. This works pretty well with a barbless hook unless the fish practically swallowed the fly. Barbed hooks, not so much.