Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-20-2013, 09:54 AM

Talking Anniversary Fish

The Mother in law had said she would take the twins for a night for our anniversary but kept us on the fence until finally the night before where she said she would do it Those of you who have parents that regularly take your children on some weekends and so you can sneak away for vacation without the kids need to thank your parents as you don't know how lucky you are. This was the first night she ever took them.

We met her at Cataloochie exit and got a meal at GiGi's which is convenient, good eating, and cheap. After saying our good byes my wife Holli and I headed for Cataloochie. Since it was already 2 PM even before we hit Cove Creek road we knew we weren't in for any long hikes and just took it easy. Once on Cove Creek road we got behind a Florida tag with the Park Ranger behind him. Needless to say we did 15-20 for the next few miles till the guy finally pulled over letting the ranger pass. While I'm not known to be a slow driver, I couldn't keep up with the ranger as we dropped over the divide into the bowl of Cataloochie. Once we hit the paved road we caught up with the ranger who was stuck behind a handful of tourons (I mean tourists) as we hit the first set of fields. A tourist walks up to the rangers car and hands him a shot gun shell casing, to which I confirmed my observation with the lady as we passed. Through another set of fields and off to the trailhead.

Fall is in full swing

The signs in this part of the park are much more professional looking

Working a ways up the trail

After passing several sweet holes found a few I couldn't pass up and while the fishing was really slow, I did manage to snag this guy

Then nothing not even a bite for 10-15 minutes. I was about to give up when this guy grabbed the dry.

Nice looking water abound

A few colors to boot

Glad just to be

Old 10-20-2013, 10:08 AM

Wonderful, excellent, and beautiful. Congratulations.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:11 AM

Strainer Falls - Not much for a fisherman to step over, but a solid Class 5 rapid for a Foamie Boater.

Duckpaddler with the Usual Suspects

Leaves for interesting eddy lines

After doing some videoing of the Foamies in action we decided to head back to the trailhead. Had to check out the Elk on the way out.

This young male decided to come out into the field to check out a cow.

Which definitely got this guys attention who was very greedy and wasn't into sharing.

A crotch sniff or two later even got the big guy to bugle at the young buck

We headed out the gravel road taking the long way out but avoiding Cove Creek, and the Pigeon Gorge

Even a bit of a rainbow in the sky

Had some interesting sights on the road out. Got to see bikers (like what Mr. Troutman rides), people walking horses, hunters (only place beside the reservation where I see a conscious lack of enforcement), school buses (At 5:40), and even a hippie at the trailhead to 38 who Serenaded the wife and I with a fiddle tune as we passed

Old 10-20-2013, 10:14 AM

Talking

Not a bad way to spend a day, and a night without the kids PRICELESS

And the best part is the next day while my wife went and picked up kids, I went back to the park to fish with Nathan
Old 10-20-2013, 12:55 PM

Nice report. Sounds like a cool time with the wife. Does she know that you made 2 posts, one titled Catch of the Day and its not the one about her!?!
Old 10-20-2013, 11:09 PM

Love the foamie floaters James pretty cool. Glad you guys had a good time over there. I haven't seen Gigi's will have to check it out what kind of food is it? Glad to see you sneaking away from Nathan for a day out with your wife ha!

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 10-21-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
Duckpaddler with the Usual Suspects

James, you are one lucky manboy. Your bride lets you fish on your anniversary AND... bring along your toys. Love the helmet. Great report. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:50 PM

That's good stuff. It's funny about the elk, several weeks ago when I was there, people would ride by and yell at them (while bugling sounds) and get mad when they wouldn't come closer for a photo, etc. It was literally like a zoo. I guess people forget that they are wild animals. Looks like you had a great trip!