Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 12-14-2013, 10:37 PM

Default Richardson Chest Pack

Guys, do any of you own, or have you used a Richardson Chest Pack? Joe Humphreys I believe uses one. Don't know that I'd be a fan of a chest pack like this but I like to get good stuff and then hang on to it for a lifetime if I can, and this type chest pack looks like it would last a lifetime. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks. Harry Crabtree
Old 12-15-2013, 07:55 AM

Owned one for years just never used it anymore .well built the original version have no opinion on the plastic version , sold for good money on eBay . Few years back , just don't like chest packs . Fanny pack guy. At the time was better alternative to a vest.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:49 AM

I have of the two drawer Fye Boxes and I really like it. To me it is more convenient then the modern cordura packs. It's light, fits next to the body and does not get in the way of casting or moving around.

I like especially when I use big dry flies, there is plenty of room to not squish the hackle. Personally I would not be interested in the four drawer model as the do stick out to far. One of my fishing buddies has a three and it would be as far as I would want to go.

As far as the plastic I have seen them and I don't care for them.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:50 PM

narcodog, I notice I squish the hackle on my size 12 or 14 Thunderheads regardless of which of my fly boxes I try to put them into so yes, that ability to put in big dry flies with bushy hackle and not flatten them out would be something I'd like. In the 2 drawer model, how many fly compartments do you have narcodog? I definitely do not think I want a 4 drawer version as that looks like a piece of furniture out in front of my chest, but I might be persuaded that the 3 drawer was the max size I would use. But if the 2 drawer did all I ever needed it to do, that would only put this thing about 2 inches in front of my chest, and that I could deal with. Harry Crabtree
Old 12-15-2013, 05:38 PM

My box is 2 1/4 deep the divided tray has 13 11/2 X 11/2 compartments and one that is 1 1/2 X 3. The second tray is open and I glued some two pieces of magnetic sign material in it. That holds my bigger streamers and wet, moist, flies. Which allows the flies to dry with squishing the hackle.

I also have a small plastic lined tobacco pouch Velcroed to the front that hold my tippet material. I have never been bothered by this set up.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:58 PM

Thanks narcodog, that helps. I didn't like the idea of devoting one whole tray to tippet material anyway as that would put the pack out in front of my chest yet another inch. Your idea makes sense and I've got several old leather Peterson pipe tobacco pouches laying around!
Old 12-15-2013, 04:43 PM

billyspey, thanks for the feedback. I'm not real sure I want something sticking out in front of my chest like that either. I have a Fishpond chest pack that I've started using this past year and I am getting more and more use to it. In the past, just always used a vest so I'm exploring something new. Harry Crabtree