Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 01-08-2014, 06:25 PM

Default Tailwaters for dummies

After being taken by the trout bug this past October, I'm looking to catch more of them throughout the new year. While I'd love to make several trips to the park, I don't know if I'll be able to make more than one. The Caney and the Duck river are close enough to make day trips to though. I have never fished tailwaters. I know only enough to know that I know little enough to drown. Any good resources, reading material, etc. out there where I can learn about flows, discharges, avoiding the nuisance canoer, etc. Thanks guys.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:02 PM

Have you fished the Spring River at Hardy, Ark? That wouldn't be too far from you, would it?

steve
Old 01-08-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmadd View Post
After being taken by the trout bug this past October, I'm looking to catch more of them throughout the new year. While I'd love to make several trips to the park, I don't know if I'll be able to make more than one. The Caney and the Duck river are close enough to make day trips to though. I have never fished tailwaters. I know only enough to know that I know little enough to drown. Any good resources, reading material, etc. out there where I can learn about flows, discharges, avoiding the nuisance canoer, etc. Thanks guys.
I am working on something for 2014 that I hope will help you "Find The Joy of Fly Fishing"!

In the meantime; use the search feature on this fabulous website to find some excellent archived posts about The Clinch and other great tailwaters...

Give me an email as well; sometimes I get a free spot in my boat and you are welcome to join if you want to experience some of the Clinch...

Blessings,
SM
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 01-09-2014, 12:21 AM

The Duck river is great place to learn. I fished there quite a bit in college. My favorite place was next to the restaurant just south of shelbyville. Use poppers for bass and red eye then the stocked trout in the spring will eat anything as long as it is presented halfway decent. Don't forget about the Stones river also great bass fishing on the fly. You also have the harpeth river near nashville.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:01 PM

Spring River looks like it would be close to 4 hours away. I can be to the Duck or the Caney in a little over 2 and a half hours. We have some small streams and ponds stocked with trout here in West Tn in winter and spring but I'm looking for a place I could access maybe year round.

Shawn I've done some searching. I'll keep doing that for the places I intend to fish. If I ever make if farther East I'll get in touch. Thanks for the help and I'm looking forward to whatever it is you're working on.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:13 PM

The first thing to know is the generation schedule. Here's a link to TVA's website: http://www.tva.com/river/lakeinfo/index.htm (Even though Caney Fork is a Corps dam, the info is available thru TVA.) Right now Center Hill is running water 24/7 or close to it. You can't wade when water is up. Best we can hope for is a window of time to get in on low water. If recent history holds, it'll be this way for next couple of months.

steve
Old 01-09-2014, 12:17 PM

You've mentioned the Duck, and while I've never fished it, I think I'm correct that the water that holds trout is immediately below the dam, not further downstream where I-40 crosses it.

steve