Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-26-2014, 12:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite
Default lynn camp..

I have heard the park officials say that fishing has no impact on our trout populations in the smokies. If that's true I wonder why Lynn camp stays closed...or perhaps open it as catch and release... just some food for thought. Not trying to start a giant debate (again) about whether it was right or wrong to do the Lynn camp project..
Old 01-26-2014, 02:08 PM

The "no impact" thing is on established populations. They're still trying to re-establish the native brook trout population to a sustainable level before opening it back up to fishing. Unfortunately, after the bootleg rainbow restocking a couple of years ago that required a reboot of the whole restoration effort, and the flooding events of the last two winters (2013 & 2014) they don't have a good recruitment of new fry since the last stocking to open it back up again.

According to Matt Kulp's presentation on this topic at last Thursday's LRCTU meeting, it will probably be another couple of years before they will be able to open Lynn Camp back up for fishing. They do plan to reseed it with another infusion of brookies from other streams again this year, but if we get the same sort of high-water events next December/January when the fry are most vulnerable, it may set things back some more. But they are making progress and hope to have it back open again soon.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

I was wondering if they were going to add some more this summer...I'm glad they are going to. Do we know if there are any true new fish? Or are the ones that are being shocked up just ones that were stocked?
Old 01-26-2014, 08:01 PM

There are some, but sampling numbers for the Young of Year (YOY) for the last two years has been low. Matt attributed that to the timing of the floods in December and January. High water events at those times scour eggs out of the gravel in the stream and wash away fry that have hatched but aren't yet capable enough swimmers to withstand the floods.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:57 PM

Is anyone else as outraged as I am about the private bucket brigade stocking of hatchery rainbows into the project stretch?

May not be as damaging as the lake trout situation in Yellowstone Lake, but still it's unbelievably selfish and arrogant on the part of the culprits.

steve

Last edited by Stonefly; 02-01-2014 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 02-01-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonefly View Post
Is anyone else as outraged as I am about the private bucket brigade stocking of hatchery rainbows into the project stretch?

May not be as damaging as the lake trout situation in Yellowstone Lake, but still it's unbelievably selfish and arrogant on the part of the culprits.

steve
Steve, I'm with you on this one. Unfortunately, I'm guessing that the same people or others who are like-minded will probably repeat that at some point.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com