Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-30-2014, 08:12 AM

Post Clinch River Report (March-2014)

Clinch Report (End March 2014)

Fishing has been pretty good on the Clinch lately. The upper end of the river has been sparse with bug activity except for midges,
black flies, and aquatic snails. Many of the average fish have started bumping the bottom for food. There are a few sulphurs on the mid-lower end of the river coming off...

• Also; we have been doing well on silver maggot midges on 2-3' drop.
Looks like the cold winter has pushed the sulphur hatch back a bit. I normally see adults on the upper end this time of year.

• Does anyone have a good aquatic snail pattern? Not one with a shell; just the tapered body with tentacles...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 03-30-2014, 10:54 PM

MadisonBoats, What size do you fish that emerger pattern?
Old 03-31-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinryder2 View Post
MadisonBoats, What size do you fish that emerger pattern?
Robinryder2,
I use a size 14-16 most of the time. Focus on balancing the fly by allowing the gape to be clean (except for the thread/wire) and the top to catch it in the film. I like to add some trailing shuck at times. This fly will be tricky to spot; even though it floats. You can leave the head of the foam and little long when trimming to help. I have added colored fabric puff paint to the top of mine-helps a bit...takes hours to dry though...I tend to work it close to an active seam with short reach casts.

*Oh; one huge tip: Tie a very clean knot. If you have any heat memory in the tippet; the fly will present horribly as will most dry flies. I like to use a triple-Davy Knot with plenty of saliva. Then; Gink Wet the tippet from the fly head up 10" or so...Being mindful to not get it on the fly. This helps the fly to flow and present more naturally without having the tippet or line tension push it around.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Robinryder2,
I use a size 14-16 most of the time. Focus on balancing the fly by allowing the gape to be clean (except for the thread/wire) and the top to catch it in the film. I like to add some trailing shuck at times. This fly will be tricky to spot; even though it floats. You can leave the head of the foam and little long when trimming to help. I have added colored fabric puff paint to the top of mine-helps a bit...takes hours to dry though...I tend to work it close to an active seam with short reach casts.

*Oh; one huge tip: Tie a very clean knot. If you have any heat memory in the tippet; the fly will present horribly as will most dry flies. I like to use a triple-Davy Knot with plenty of saliva. Then; Gink Wet the tippet from the fly head up 10" or so...Being mindful to not get it on the fly. This helps the fly to flow and present more naturally without having the tippet or line tension push it around.
14 and 16? Ill try and tie some up and give em a shot. I've been having some success on bunny midges and another midge dry pattern ive found. Here's the link for the bunny midge. http://www.flyfishfood.com/2013/02/bunny-midge.html I fish them in sizes 16-22. So simple and ive had A LOT of luck when the fish are actually rising and not just sipping emergers. I really want to tie some in 24 just for arguments sake and see what I can come up with.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinryder2 View Post
14 and 16? Ill try and tie some up and give em a shot. I've been having some success on bunny midges and another midge dry pattern ive found. Here's the link for the bunny midge. http://www.flyfishfood.com/2013/02/bunny-midge.html I fish them in sizes 16-22. So simple and ive had A LOT of luck when the fish are actually rising and not just sipping emergers. I really want to tie some in 24 just for arguments sake and see what I can come up with.
Yes, I tie them in larger sizes than the actual fly it mimics. My intent is that the bigger fly pierces the water film better and sits better in the surface than a small fly. Also; it tends to maintain a better posture with action. Plus; I think it sticks out a little more to fish in fast water.

I Like the bunny midge pattern. Thank you for sharing!
Just my style; slim and functional...!

• BTW; mayflies are starting to release on the upper end lately. Good colors are olive with dark split case.

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 04-01-2014 at 08:18 AM..
Old 04-01-2014, 10:47 AM

Ok that makes sense. The fish aren't seeing the whole fly float on the surface but the bottom end in the film, which means you can get by with the bigger fly correct? I'll try them out and if it's works pretty good I'll tell you, and if it works great I'll keep it to myself lmao but I saw the bunny midge pattern on flyfishfood's Instagram and it caught my eye. It continues to catch me fish.

But it's about time for some mayflys. Time for to throw some BHPT.