Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-12-2006, 04:05 PM

Default Coming back down this weekend

The wife and I decided to make a trip down last weekend. As usual I spent a bunch of money at the outfitters!! I love my new Temple Fork Outfitters Rod 4wt 4pc 8' for Gatlinburg.

I think we will be staying at the Lazy Daze Campground this weekend and then heading up into the park to do some fishing.

I took a guided trip back in October by Chris which I HIGHLY!! HIGHLY!! suggest for anyone new to these parts. Instead of just a few fish I ended up catching a bunch that weekend with Chris's help. He also showed me a bunch of little things that I never knew about fishing for WILD TROUT!! We where also lucky enough to be there for the fly tiers weekend another awesome experience.

Any suggestions on where to go this weekend?? Will be fishing Saturday and Sunday right when the front gets in. Would like to stick close to the townsend area.

Old 01-12-2006, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Coming back down this weekend

Fishingmarlin; The TFO 4wt you are carring, is that the one of the new Finesses Series. I am an equipment junkie and am thinking about adding a meduim action 4wt to my arsenal.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:10 PM

Fishingmarlin, I fished yesterday and did ok on Abrams on various nymphs. Swinging soft hackles picked up a few fish as well. I stopped on the Middle Prong near sunset and it was HOT! I caught 5 fish in 15 or 20 minutes. The weather will probably make things harder this weekend, but those two streams are worth a shot. Good luck and let us know how you do!

David Knapp
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 01-14-2006, 02:14 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to beego
Default Re: FINESSE RODS

HEY WOODY, IF YOUR INTRESTED IN THE NEW FINESSE, I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMEND THAT ROD FOR ANY SMALL STREAM CONDITIONS. I WOULD COMPARE IT TO THE SCOTT V2, ST CROIX REIGN, AND ORVIS SUPERFINE. ALLTHESE RODS ALONG WITH THE FINESSE ARE DEADLY FROM 40' AND CLOSER. NOT SURE WHERE YOUR FROM, BUT IF YOUR ABLE TO STOP BY THE SHOP, I'LL BE GLAD TO HELP YOU WITH ANY OF THEM. WE KEEP THESE RODS IN STOCK AND IF NEEDED, CAN ORDER WHATEVER YOU WANT.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:24 AM

I have been using a 6wt St.Croix Legend Elite which was a little overkill for Gatlinburg. I ended up getting the professional series Lefty Creh from suggestions at the store and my buddies have em. I will have to say I really like the rod for gatlinburg. I would like to get out on an open stream and compare the rods side by side. I will say that I am pretty impressed with the rod so far and it was half the price of the St.Croix.

We ended up fishing Middle prong the first day because the road to abrams was closed through the mountains. Someone in the store told me he landed several that morning at middle prong. So we threw pheasant tail nymphs with a single split shot since they did not have any tungsten pheasant tails. Not a whole lot of luck and only saw a few fish. The water temperature dropped so much Saturday night that Sunday was work on casting accuracy more than anything else.