Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-18-2006, 08:15 PM

Default early april fly fishing

I was hoping that someone might be able to give me some helpful info on trout fishing in the smokey mountains in early april, I just moved to the maryville area in oct. I have done a lot of fly fishing in the deep south mostly for panfish,bass,redfish and snook. I have some flyfishing buddies that are going to visit in early april and were are looking forward to 4 days of fishing
and camping in the in the mountains. Thanks for any info.
Riverrat
Old 01-18-2006, 08:33 PM

Default Re: early april fly fishing

If you've never fished in the mountains, my advice is to go on a full day trip with one of the guides at LRO. Being from MS , that is what i did 3 yrs. ago and it was the best money I ever spent. I learned more in one day with Walter Babb than I would have learned in years trying to figure it out by myself. A more patient and knowledgeable man has never been born in my opinion. My two cents worth.........
Old 01-18-2006, 09:02 PM

A 7'6"-8" 4wt rod 9ft 5x leader and a good guide will gitter done! Maybe the good folks here at LRO could post a Hatch chart for the callender year for smokies streams? :-? :P

AA
2Timothy2:15
Old 01-19-2006, 10:36 AM

Thanks eveyone for the info, I will be going down to LRO to book a guide this weekend for the 3 of us. thanks again
riverrat
Old 01-26-2006, 09:20 AM

Get a guide and go in advance of your camping/fishing trip. First time out in the GSM you simply need some direction. Finding the fish is easy, catching the fish is very hard to do without a coach skilled in the techniques required for this geographical region.

Good luck
Old 01-26-2006, 03:28 PM

Is it really that difficult? You guys have me worried now... I'm originally from PA and I grew up fishing Brookies in the mountains, but now I'm stationed in middle GA... I'm coming up mid/late April... do you think I need a guide for a day, or just a good map?
Old 01-26-2006, 09:48 PM
Administrator

YankeeDave-

You shouldn't worry too much - PA fishing is similar to here - Joe Humphreys has proved that with his great books and videos that are very similar to conditions here...

I would recommend his dry fly and nymph tactics vids if you haven't seen them, but the most important tactics are stealth and presentation...

Don't worry, you will do great...

Paula
Old 01-26-2006, 10:18 PM

Thanks Paula!

I haven't seen the videos, but I'm getting on that right now...

Kind of off subject, but it's very apparent to me now that i've moved around a bit... the way people fish for trout up and down the east coast... i grew up sneaking up to six inch brookies in crystal clear water in my grand pap's back yard, while others grew up throwing lots of split shot to trout they never see...

Not taking anything away from those guys, but until you stalk what is probably the biggest trout in a mountain stream ( a whopping 12 inches ) and get him to take the fly... you haven't lived! There is just something about wild brook trout in small streams that gets my blood flowing...

Tight Lines-

Dave