Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-15-2006, 09:11 AM

Default March trip cancled, what can expect in Juune

I had planed a trip next week, March 18th-26th, but while at church on last sunday I thought I was a 45 year old 215# kid and broke my foot playing soccer . I have changed my trip to the first week in June. I have never fished during this time of year, I have fished march, late july, august and last fall during the Lefty weekend in september last year. but never early summer. What hatch can I expect? Is it to early to fish Terrestrials? *ECT. Ihate missing the orvis weekend, and I guess I need to quit reading the fishing reports all they do is depress me wishing I wasn't so stupid and act my own age.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Default Re: March trip cancled, what can expect in Juune

Vern

Sooo sorry you hurt yourself....don't beat yourself up too badly....early June can still be great!!

The Smokies will still be having hatches that can be quite productive. The most prolific will be little yellow stoneflies in the late afternoon and early evening - the little yellow sally. Water temps will be such that wet wading "may" be comfortable, too.

My best advice to you is between then and now - lay off the soccer , and keep and eye on the board....we will keep you posted!

Paula
Old 03-15-2006, 04:37 PM

Thanks for the info. I should be able to get on the tailwaters around Nashville by late april. so all is not lost.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:08 AM

My favorite time of the year is early June. I have seen a strange pattern occuring many times over the past several years. The fishing will be okay to poor during the day- even nymphs may not do well during the day. I will pass fishermen leaving to go to eat in town as I am going out.
About 6:00 to 6:30, you will notice some #14-12 Yellow Sallies start to appear along with some Sulfurs just about the last hour before dark, the sky over some pool will be thick dancing mayflies. Trout rising everywhere. Then they will shut down almost instantly at dark!!! I have tried different yellow stone fly imitations and they do fairly well. I think the fish prefering the Sulfurs and I do better with a homemade fly. A Little River Sulfur- #12 hook- Orangish yellow biot body, orangish yellow dubbed thorax, light ginger or pale yellow parachute hackle, white or light dun post. I have "played" with this hatch and found you need some ORANGE tinge to the fly, and a #12 fly even though the actual flies are smaller. This fly seems to outfish a Light Cahill dry.