Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 03-16-2006, 08:04 PM

Default suggestions on micro setup

for some reason for the past two years, I've been dying to get a really light setup, such as a 2wt, maybe even on down to a sage 00 weight. I use a 7'6" 4wt now, but find myself fishing in smaller and smaller water all the time. does anyone have any experience using a super light setup, and or any suggestions?? I've narrowed down to either: winston 2wt, sage 0wt, or orvis 1 or 2 wt superfine. any suggestion? wouldn't it be nice to have a different rod for each stream?
Old 03-20-2006, 01:32 PM

Default Re: suggestions on micro setup

I was also bitten by that same bug many years ago.....for the last 10 or so years I have been fishing the original Orvis One Ounce, 2wt rod....this is the 6'6" version....only problem I am having with it now is trying to get it away from my son.....great little rod and as Orvis promotes it this is not a toy but a well balanced rod that can put out a lot of line. While I generally bring this one out on some of the higher streams in the Park I have managed to land a 16" bow out of the Little Pigeon and a 14" brown up above Elkmont. You can cast all day with this rod and not feel like you have been beat to death....saw a great deal on one the other day on ebay....might be a good way to get into this type of fishing....good luck.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:50 PM

I actually just bought an orvis one ounce on ebay! I bet its the same one you saw. paired it with a cfo I reel, and am very exited about using it 8-)
Old 04-23-2006, 04:43 PM

Quote:
for some reason for the past two years, I've been dying to get a really light setup, such as a 2wt, maybe even on down to a sage 00 weight. *I use a 7'6" 4wt now, but find myself fishing in smaller and smaller water all the time. *does anyone have any experience using a super light setup, and or any suggestions?? I've narrowed down to either: winston 2wt, *sage 0wt, or orvis 1 or 2 wt superfine. *any suggestion? wouldn't it be nice to have a different rod for each stream?
five or six years ago I bought a Loomis Triology 2 weight rod. I use that rod 80% of the time in the park. It's a little whipy, but that's the nature of the beast. This rod is about eight feet long, and think it's about a half foot too long. Great for tricos and #16 & 18 BWOs. Found it to be a little picky about leaders. A seven foot three weight is much more forgiving.
Gary