Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-19-2006, 09:11 PM

Default Excellent Fishing

Just got home from Gatlinburg today and wanted to post on the excellent week of fishing we had. Thanks to Little River Outfitters for hooking me up with an excellent assortment of flies and I really like the new wading boots. I believe the boots are made from a local company and I like them much better than my old Orvis and Simms boots.

Fished Wednesday and Thursday below Metcalf Bottoms and landed about 10-15 rainbows each day. Not many risers on Wednesday and Thursday so I fished droppers behind a dry that most of the fish were caught on. Did manage a couple dry fly catches (Quill Gordon) around 1:00 - 1:30 each day.

Friday and Saturday were spent on the Greenbriar with about 30 landed each day. Mainly caught rainbows on the Greenbiar but did manage to pull in several nice browns. Probably missed another 100 fish on the Greenbriar that seemed to be slapping at the dry flies. I guess they were trying to stun the fly before taking. No need for droppers as the fish were consistently rising all day from about 11:15 - 4:00. Mainly used Quill Gordon, Stimulator & Parachute Adams. Each day had a nice Quill Gordon hatch around 1:00 - 1:30. At least my untrained eye thinks they were Quill Gordons and the fish seemed to agree. Missed a monster brown using a larger stimulator but just three casts later I caught another 12-13 inch brown in the same spot.

Amazing trip! Can't wait until next year! It just gets better every year!
Old 03-19-2006, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Excellent Fishing

It sounds like you had a great time up there in the mountains! I'll bet your heart almost stopped when you missed that big brown. It is always great to see reports of good browns rising to dry flies. I'm going to have to get up there as soon as it warms up a little again. Again, great report and thanks!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 03-20-2006, 07:51 AM

Hello Barbett2000,

We will be in the Smokies starting a week from this Wednesday and plan on fishing the LR. When you say below Metcalf Bottoms are you parking in the picnic area and fishing downstream? I know there are many pulloffs along the river within the park and in this area in general. I have been in that picnic area but have not fished there. It sounds like I should have given it a try. I appreciate any help.

Thanks, gary <*))))><
Old 03-20-2006, 06:00 PM

We parked in the Metcalf parking area and walked down stream a ways and then worked our way back up to the parking lot. Fishing was good at Metcalf but definately had the most luck on the Greenbriar.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:12 PM

Hello again Barbett2000,

Thanks for the response, I really do appreciate any help we can get. We have 3 days so I suspect we will hit several areas in the park including Greenbriar. I like to fish for the brookies but I am afriad the water at that elevation will still be too cold. Either way it will be nice to be there and nicer to be fishing. This new board is the greatest and it seems like people are more than willing to share information which benefits all of us at times. Being out of state it really gives us needed information.

Best Wishes and tight lines, gary <*))))><

Old 03-20-2006, 08:25 PM

Have a great trip Gary!
Old 03-21-2006, 01:21 AM

Be cautious around Greenbrair- one of my favorite areas also. The bottom in many places is extremely slick, be sure to have felts and use care. I learned the hard way, got in a hurry one day luckly I only busted my 4 wt. and took a dip.

Randy Sale
Old 03-21-2006, 07:21 AM

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the warning. I had both knees worked on over the winter, mainly because I was having a hard time with all the rocks and boulders in the park streams, so I can appreciate the dangers of wading there. It will be intersting to see how this "new" knee works. I use felt sole shoes and carry a wading staff these days and would not consider fishing anywhere without it now. I'm not sure which is worse, slick bottoms or rocks to trip over. I took a spill around the "sinks" a couple years ago. Lucky for me I just got a little wet and cold.

Thanks for the heads-up on the stream conditions, gary <*))))><

Old 03-21-2006, 09:12 PM

Funny you would mention the slick rocks on the Greenbriar. I was working a little too fast on the edge of the stream and managed to take a spill and bend my spool. After my fall I had to take the spool off each time I wanted to let more line out or take some in. Oh well, I didn't break any bones and still had a great day. Fortunately I was using one of my cheaper reels that I've had for several years so no major financial setbacks. Hopefully I can bend the spool back into working condition. I learned my lesson and will be more careful in future trips. Good advice!
Old 03-22-2006, 09:37 PM

Dang, here I thought I was the only to take a serious tumble at Greenbriar. * Went there on the first day we were in the Smokies area. * *Fell on about the slickest boulder Id ever been on (up to that point of course..hadnt been up above Elkmont yet!). * Broke my reel, but fortunately had a spare. *