Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-26-2006, 05:43 PM

Default Length of Cast

I've always heard the the vast majority of casts in the Smokies are under 30 feet. *It that measured from where you are standing to where the fly hits the water.... or from the tip of your rod to where the fly is presented * Measured from my feet - I can cast relatively accurately 30'...the next 7' to 10'...not so good.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Length of Cast

Mike

Generally, the length of your cast is determined by the amount of line you have out of the tip of the rod, so if you were practicing you could mark your line in ten foot increments with a sharpy and know just how much "line" you can cast. For the purposes of just how far have you cast, the rod length must be taken into account also.

So, kinda both...if you have an 8 1/2 foot rod and can cast with accuracy to 30 feet, you are probably casting about 21.5 feet of fly line.

Hope this helps,

Paula
Old 03-27-2006, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Length of Cast

Fly Fishing author Art Lee wrote an old rhyming truism that went something like this:

"Never cross the water with line when your waders will do just fine."

The point being, of course, that you should put yourself in position to cast within your level of competency. *It will be a rare occasion on any water where more than 30 feet from your postion to the landing zone will be required. *Just my opinion.