Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-30-2006, 09:21 AM

Default Sink tips for the smokeys?

Because I am still on the mend from a old man trying to play soccer. I have been rereading some of my GSM fly fishing books. In one the author suggests to use a sink tip line. How do you all feel about this? I personally have never used one. Do they cast the same or do you need a slower action rod? My farorite rod right now is a orvis tls 5wt tip flex which might be a little too fast for a sink tip. I am thinking about looking at a tfo finesse 4wt 7'6 just for the Smokeys. Is there a advantage in using a sink tip? And so what line do you all recomnend. I know there are differant rates of sink but I can only afford to buy one.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Sink tips for the smokeys?

Hey,
On the sink tips. I use them, but only at specific times. Only in high water and more oftern in the winter. They are good for high water to help get a fly to the bottom, using a sink tip you avoid the fast water on top which tends to pull a strike indicator along and causes your fly to move faster than the water on the bottom.
You want a fast rod for a sink tip to give you the best control of the line (in the air) and to help get it out of the water. Sink tips work great for streamers and big nymphs! I fish my sink tip on a 6 wt and for these streams a teeny mini-tip seems to work pretty well.
I am about to decide to give up soccer, it is the soccer or my fishing, anymore I would rather fish. I may try to stick with indoor since I can play it on the week nights rather than Sundays.
tight lines,
John.
I could send you some pictures of some big trout I have taken on a sink-tip rig. One this winter (feb 26th) was 25" and ~ 7-1/2 lb.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:32 AM

You caught a 25 incher in the smokies?

Wow

which river?
Old 03-30-2006, 01:28 PM

I don't play soccer, that may be the reason i broke my foot trying. go ahead and send the picture I would love to see them.