Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 04-20-2006, 06:55 PM

Default Wading Boots

I am looking for suggestions on good wading boots and caring for wading boots. *I've been using the Patagonia boots for a couple of years now. *The first pair wore out within about 1 year and they replaced them for me. *Now the second pair is falling apart even worse than the first pair less than a year after I got them. *I guess I'm just too hard on my boots. *First question, how long should I expect a good pair of boots to last me? *To put this in perspective, I fish probably 60-70 days a year and a lot of these days includes hiking at least some in my wading boots. *Should I try to refrain from hiking while wearing my boots? *

Secondly, has anyone ever used a shoe repair shop to fix wading boots? *I'm thinking about trying to get mine restitched and new felt soles put on. *Is this worth the money or should I just get a new pair.
Finally, any recommendations on wading boots would be appreciated as I might end up needing to buy a new pair. I'm a college student so price is a factor...

Thanks for any help and advice!

David Knapp
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-21-2006, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Wading Boots

I have a cheap pair of "Bone-dry"wading boots that have worn very well for about three years and will probably continue to for a few more.
The wife and son have Orvis and one pair started to drop some of thee stitching after one use.
I dont think price or lables make much difference, it all seems to be a matter of luck when it comes to wear or comfort.

My local shoe repair shop has proven to be very handy and inexpensive .
But Cobblers are a dying breed so if you have one locally give him a visit as he most likely can do what you want .
Old 04-21-2006, 03:29 PM

Thanks for the reply! I found a great shoe repair shop that was able to stitch the seams back together for me and sold me some good cement that should work for the felt that is coming off, at least for awhile. At $7.50, that is way better than new shoes!!!

David Knapp
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Old 04-22-2006, 01:55 AM

PA, you might want to check out the Chota STL boots when you are ready to purchase some new boots. Comfortable, light, and the lacing system(no knots to come lose). Some might argue about the laces, but I have had mine for a year and a half, with no issues, and I get on the stream about as often as you (stated), maybe even more .
Old 04-22-2006, 07:49 AM

Weinbrenner's Gary Borger designed made in U.S.A. they run about $130 dollars a
pair but well worth it. They are comfortable for hiking and they will last two to three seasons which is probably average with your kind of time on the water. I am also hard on my boots and I do resole them after two seasons with a diy resoling kit that you can buy. I skimp on other gear sometimes but not on boots since that is the most important aspect of my equipment.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:49 PM

I have a pair of simms guide boots that I have worn for 3 years and have never had a problem. I've used and abused them pretty hard both in Tennessee/N.C. and out west while guiding in the summers. *I have owned various boots by other companies including orvis, cabelas, and hodgeman. Simms has outlasted them all. *Also, I would advise making sure that the next set of boots you get are double stiched on the outside of the felt sole so they won't *separate from the sole of the boot as easily.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:52 PM

Thanks for all of the great advice. I'll check into these other boots when mine start falling apart again/worse. I'm definately going to get some that have the felt stitched onto the boot in addition to being cemented on. I think that would help a lot of the issues I've had. Thanks again!

David Knapp

Old 04-23-2006, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Weinbrenner's Gary Borger designed made in U.S.A. they run about $130 dollars a *
pair but well worth it. They are comfortable for hiking and they will last two to three seasons which is probably average with your kind of time on the water. I am also hard on my boots and I do resole them after two seasons with a diy resoling kit that you can buy. I skimp on other gear sometimes but not on boots since that is the most important aspect of my equipment.
I've been looking for a dealer that sells these for a couple years now. Anybody know who sells them?
gary
Old 04-23-2006, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I am looking for suggestions on good wading boots and caring for wading boots. *I've been using the Patagonia boots for a couple of years now. *The first pair wore out within about 1 year and they replaced them for me. *Now the second pair is falling apart even worse than the first pair less than a year after I got them. *I guess I'm just too hard on my boots. *First question, how long should I expect a good pair of boots to last me? *To put this in perspective, I fish probably 60-70 days a year and a lot of these days includes hiking at least some in my wading boots. *Should I try to refrain from hiking while wearing my boots? *

Secondly, has anyone ever used a shoe repair shop to fix wading boots? *I'm thinking about trying to get mine restitched and new felt soles put on. *Is this worth the money or should I just get a new pair.
Finally, any recommendations on wading boots would be appreciated as I might end up needing to buy a new pair. I'm a college student so price is a factor...

Thanks for any help and advice!

David Knapp
I've gone thru several over the last five or six years, and here's my thought on them:
I had a pair of Simms boots that were very nice, but they were cut too small. If I were to but them again I'd but them a Half size larger.
The Hodgmen boots are junk, but I actually like the velcro straps. You can tighten them up after you've had them on awhile.
I've been wearing a pair of Danners for a year now, and they are not bad boots. A little heavy, and seem to take too long to break in. I'd also like them to be a little "fuller" in the way they cut the toe.
I have bad ankles, and these offer some of the best support I've seen. Mine are not cleated, but just plain felt soled. I've yet to see a problem with them.
I tried on the Chotas, and they just didn't fit my feet right at the top. Could have offered a little more support on the ankles. But still are a very good boot. About on par with Simms in quality. I like to wear heavy wading socks, and when you add the wader and these socks things can get alittle tight in the toe region.
gary
Old 04-23-2006, 08:02 PM

I have a pair of the LL Bean wading boots built on their hiking boot frame with the AquaStealth rubber soles. They provide excellent support, grab snot rocks about as well as felt, and don't pick up snow or mud like felt.

They worked so well, I ordered the kit to add the AquaStealth soles to my old pair of Weinbrenner's Gary Borger boots to keep as a spare. I took them to a local shoe repair shop and he replaced the felt with the AquaStealth rubber and stitched it on along with the glue. I told him I might be sending him some more business from other fly fishers and he said don't bother - it was the last pair he would ever do. The rubber is some kind of sticky composite that kept clogging up his grinding wheel when he was grinding the edges to fit. (it comes as a rectangle piece of material that can be cut to fit) He said it stunk up the shop so bad he had to open the doors and windows even though it was freezing outside. He wasn't sure what the material was, but he was sure he wasn't going to do that again... If you decide to resole with the kit, better find a willing shoe repair shop or be prepared to tackle it yourself.

-halieus