Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 04-22-2006, 09:27 AM

Default Fishing in Southwest Florida

I am planning a trip to SW Florida last of May / first of June and looking for any information or recommendations. Would appreciate any insight you might have.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Fishing in Southwest Florida

Boca Grande if you have a boat, even a small one, and want Tarpon. Backwater, Charlotte Harbor, if you're going to hire a guide and want the opportunity for a SLAM.
Good Luck !!
Old 05-07-2006, 11:14 PM

If you are around Sanibel, there can be some good beach fishing for snook that time of year. Mostly in the 20-26" range, but I have seen some bigger ones. You just have to be sure your backcast doesn't hook a beachcomber! The beaches there are usually not as crowded in the summer as they are in the winter believe it or not. You can usually find some room. It is a different kind of fishing to say the least. There was a pretty good article on SW Florida fishing (Sanibel in particular) in Eastern Flyfishing magazine, I think the premier issue (Spring 05).

A guide is the best way to go, especially if you want the tarpon. Like Justfishing suggested, Boca Grande should be on fire then. But the mangroves can be fun too; plenty of snook, seatrout, and redfish.
If you call Lee Island Outfitters in Ft. Meyers, they can give you some tips on where to go and recommend some good guides. Good Luck!
Old 05-08-2006, 12:12 AM

Email Scott Swartz and tell him Rusty Fowler sent you. seswartz@worldnet.att.net

Scott just moved down there this past December. He used to own the Atlanta Flyfishing School in Marietta, GA. I think he's guiding down in that area and has the school going down there now. Nice guy..give him a shout.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:18 PM

We had success last winter fishing in the Ding Darling along the wildlife loop for snook and baby tarpon, you can launch a boat or kayak out into Tarpon Bay also. The guys at the Bait Box where you first come onto Sanibel were very helpful even though not strictly a fly shop.

Randy Sale
Kytroutbum
Old 12-01-2006, 01:49 PM

Wanted to thank every one for your reply and suggestion. *I will let you know how the trip goes. *Thanks,