Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-15-2006, 08:56 PM

Default Brookies

planning on being in Townsend again for long Fathers day weekend.....Would love to catch a brookie......what would best bet and how accesible are the streams that carry the brookies....
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 05-16-2006, 07:46 AM

Default Re: Brookies

Without giving a way anyone's honeyholes: The rule of thumb is if you go to an elevation of 2500 ft, preferably 3000 ft you will eventually catch a brook trout. Just look at a DeLorme or somthing and it will give you an idea.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:27 PM

SPECK STREAMS CAN GIVE YOU A GOOD WORKOUT, BUT THEY NEED TO BE TOUGH DONT THEY. PINCH YOUR BARBS AND IF YOUR LUCKY ENOUGH TO CATCH ONE OF THE JEWELS HANDLE WITH CARE AND PUT THEM BACK.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:24 PM

I'm on a similar mission myself, or will be during the holiday weekend, I've never had the pleasure of gently landing a treasured Brookie. I have a couple of streams scoped out on the NC side but I would like to know if there is general guidelines concerning higher elevation streams.

Are the presence of Brookies "automatic" in most GSM streams above 2500-3000 ft ? If not, How would I know I haven't just spooked them all away?

Old 05-19-2006, 03:01 PM

There is no secret to the Brookie thing. Yes it is common knowledge that you can assume that most streams at the elevation mentioned will hold specs.

I don't want to name streams but you can catch brookies right off the blacktop roads. PLEASE and I STRESS PLEASE pick up any trash you see streamside and leave the streams a little cleaner than when you began fishing. Good Luck.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:51 PM

Was just up in the GSMNP this past week and had a blast. Brookie heaven was Road Prong just off of the Chimney Trail. Its a grueling hike in but those little buggers made up for the sweat of the hike! Fish Camp Prong was another excellent spot.

There are two honeyholes for ya!

Fish On!!!

Paisano
Old 05-30-2006, 02:42 PM

As Tennswede said, you can catch them right of the blacktop. Don't overlook the "skinny" water as you might be tempted to do and they can be easily spooked. Some of the larger fish I have seen were scurrying for cover because I had allowed them to see or hear me.

I'll echo the words of WRN, pinch down the barbs and release them carefully. Nothing in the fish world is as beautiful as a Brook Trout!

Good Luck, gary <*))))><
Old 06-02-2006, 08:02 AM

I don't do the Rambo thing, paint the face, wear the fatigues & all. I do move rather slowly & cover the water well, you'll know the brookies are there cause they'll nail a well presented fly even if it dosen't resemble anything hatching

Grumpy
Old 06-02-2006, 02:47 PM

I think the Brookies must have so much competition for the available food that anything and everything is considered fair game. They surely do hit a dry fly with avengence. I have seen the time on Michigan streams that during a hatch they don't seem to want a surface fly. I can only assume they are taking emergers.

They are great fun and deserve to be released to fight another day. I'm sure the GSMNP streams can be as overpopulated with small ones as the Michigan streams but I could never keep one.

gary <*))))><
Old 06-03-2006, 07:34 AM

Quote:

They are great fun and deserve to be released to fight another day. *I'm sure the GSMNP streams can be as overpopulated with small ones as the Michigan streams but I could never keep one.

gary *<*))))><
Me either, i've heard they don't make very good pets

Grumpy