Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-17-2006, 08:57 PM

Default advice on which River to fish in June?

I am coming down there in June and need some help on narrowing down my choises. I also would like alittle help finding a good reputable outfitter.
thanks
over
Old 05-18-2006, 10:54 AM

Default Re: advice on which River to fish in June?

I would have to recommend Little River Outfitters. Which just happens to be who's website you posted this on. Stop by their shop and the staff will be more than happy to point you in the right direction. While you're there, pick-up a few flies. I have never personally used any of their guides, however, I've heard nothing but praise about them. Since you don't live in the area, I would definatelly recommend going with a guide at least the first time out.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:03 PM

If you want to fish in the park, talk with LRO. You can't go wrong with them and they have excellent guides. I'm sure they can hook you up with a guide for tailwaters also.

If that doesn't work for you, contact Clinch River Outfitters. You can find them on the web I think, if not call a local fly shop in Knoxville called 'The Creel'. They assist with booking trips with CRO. I have floated with them a number of times and have never been disappointed. You will want to give serious consideration to floating one of the following: Clinch, Holston, South Holston. There are some other waters which are good as well.

If these options do not work for you, look at the bottom portion of the fishing report on LRO's site and it has local guide's recent reports. You may be able to find some help that way.

Good Luck
Old 05-18-2006, 02:08 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher

I always recommend the Little River, but thats just b/c I am partial to it. Especially the East Prong, it's always exciting when you know the next bite could be a big brown. I would second the guide idea. It does cost a little, but the guides are awesome at Little River Outfitters. I have done 3 guided trips with LRO. I would also say that approximately 90% of what I know about fishing in the park today can be traced back to those three guided trips. For me they were worth every penny and then some. Just my humble opinion.

scflyfisher
Old 05-19-2006, 10:19 PM

This last March a friend and I booked a half day guided trip with Chuck at Little River Outfitters. It was the best money I've spent on fly fishing - I learned more in that half day than anything I've gotten out of magazines, tv, videos, etc. The techniques and and methods aren't difficult to master, you just need someone to show you the best way to approach this type of water.

As a bonus, you reduce the time spent exploring to identify the productive spots. Since this varies, depending on time of year and conditions, it really is worth finding out where the best conditions are at any given time. The fishing reports really have some good info, (THANKS Byron!). ...and I've stopped by the shop and left with highlighted map locations that have really helped. But the best was the 'accelerated learning curve' from the time on the water with Chuck that gave me information I will continue to use on future trips to the Smokies.

In the past I've made two or three trips a year to the Smokies, but after this last one with a guide, I'm planning on doubling that at least. Now if this 'work thing' will stop getting in the way...