Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 07-09-2006, 07:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT
Default Northern Pike

I caught a few pike last year on spinning tackle in a high mountail lake near where I live. Thought I might give em a try with a fly rod. Theyre not big pike-- say 18-20 in. No muskie or nothing like that, just some pike and lots of teeth! I was just wonderin if anyone could help me out with some flies and tackle needed to land one of these fish. I know they arent a popular gamefish for fly but maybe someone could help me out a bit. Thanks.

MTN_TRT
"LIFE IS GOOD"

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com
Old 07-09-2006, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Northern Pike

I fished for Northern Pike while growing up in Sweden. They are everywhere and we fished for them with crankbaits and or spoons. We used trolling or just stop and cast for them. I knew several guys that used fly rods and caught some up to ten lbs. I tell you a ten pounder on a fly rod is really something. I never used fly rods for Pike but I know that they used real big muddlers or tied up some huge streamers with a lot of flashy marabou feathers and bright colors. They stripped the fly real fast with alternating speed and lifted the rod up and down in an irregular motion. I say a class 7 or 8 line with a matching rod would do. I probably would use an old fiberglass rod to start with.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT

Alright! Thanks for the info. Ill see what I can do w/ em.

MTN_TRT
"LIFE IS GOOD"

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com
Old 09-08-2006, 04:24 PM

Mtn-trt,
Where there are little pike there will be a big one! You can buy braided steel leader now which can be tied to the end of your leader. About 6 inches should be enough. Those pike hit like freight trains don't they?! I got to make a trip to Ontario last month to fish for them, it was amazing how many fish we landed which had been attacked by something bigger recently, (evidenced by the blood streaming from their wounds!). The life of a pike is not an easy one!
Tight lines!
Old 10-12-2006, 11:42 AM

Mountain Trout,
I just bought a book; Pike on a Fly by Barry Reynolds, seems to be a very thorough book. I let you know when I finish it what I think. Have you had any luck with them this fall?
Old 04-20-2007, 12:46 PM

I know where you are talking about fishing. I am from Richlands va. I have caught a couple up there on flies. I was using a black bunny strip streamer. I got one about 20" and one maybe 10 or 12" still fun though. I have recently bought a sink tip for the 8wt and want to take my pontoon up there and try again. I have some nice clousers and things to try out so that may be a trip to make soon. I would like to go before the water warn alot up there and they go deep. I think you could make a killign in the head fo the lake on streamers and poppers. I mean big noisy water slingin poppers. I would love to see the bite of a nice on on a popper.

STU