Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-26-2006, 01:21 PM

Default Late August fishing

Late August is probably one of the warmest times in the Southeast but nevertheless the urge still exists to get out into the river and fly fish. I'm trying to decide the best plan for a 4 day getaway that takes me to some of the favored waters in my neck of the woods. I have never been able to get out this time of year locally, so whatever experience the board has would be greatly appreciated. I would like to fish at least two of the waters that are driveable for me from Birmingham in the short time I have. The following is my list of candidates along with the approximate mileage from my home. I will be strictly wading and will be able to either camp or hotel it. The biggest criteria is obviously the ability to catch (or in my case fish) fish during this extreme time of year.

Toccoa - 170
Chattahoochee - 165
Hiwassee - 180
Tellico - 200
Soque - 210
Little River - 230
Clinch - 260

Thanks,

justfishing
<'))))><
Old 07-26-2006, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Late August fishing

I would fish the Clinch River, even though it is the longest trip from your house, in a way it would be worth it.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:36 PM

JF,

If I were you, I would stay in Blue Ridge and fish the Toccoa and Hiwassee. Or, stay in Reliance and do the same. You could rent a canoe for the Toccoa if you don't have anything to float it with. There's around 16 miles of water between the dam and McCaysville. You could really get to know this water in 3-4 days.

A good portion of the Hiwassee is wadable on high water but you have to know where. A good site for that info would be www.hiwassee.net. Don Denny runs/owns the site and he's a great guy that can help you with that and many other things on the Hi.

I agree, the Clinch can be incredible but you will most likely need a drift boat or something similar to fish it effectively. Even with the water down, access is limited to the upper few miles and down near 61.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:31 PM

RF,
I've fished both of these in the spring but not in late summer. I will be wading only. I know the Hiwassee runs alot in the summer, so I wasn't sure about the best wade in spots. I fished Toccoa, but again not when the river was running. I did the best by the ball aprk and at Curtis Switch. Any suggestions? As far as Reliance or Blue Ridge, that's real easy * Thanks.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:33 PM

Hey 15,

The Clinch reads awesome and I've never fished it. I would really like to but don't know where to start. I would only be wading. Thanks.

justfishing
<'))))><
Old 07-26-2006, 04:40 PM

If you are planning on only wading, the Clinch would probably only offer a few hours in the mornings before they started generating again. It's not really wade-able when they are running water. It is a nice place to fish though.

All those who believe in Telekinesis, please raise my hand.

50.67% of all statistics are made up.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:17 PM

Strictly wading, I would still recommend these two tailraces. Go visit Don's Hiwassee site to find out the good high water wade sites and go in Reliance Fly and Tackle for the latest fly recommendations. Take a wading staff with you if you have one. You will need to wear a PFD, also.

As far as the Toccoa, you probably know where to access the river but you probably don't know about this. You can park at the RR tracks on Curtis Switch road and access the river upstream of there. The tracks parallel the river for several miles upstream. You can also park at the TVA canoe launch downstream of Curtis Switch and access the RR tracks from there. You'll have to wade across the river to get to them. If you use the railroad tracks, you will be able to access miles of river that are otherwise off limits.

If you need more particulars just shoot me a PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:53 PM

RF,

Thanks for the info. Is Reliance Fly & Tackle the little gas station on the powerhouse road? I was up there in April and that fly shop just over the bridge on the left was closed and emptied out. Thanks for the tips on the Toccoa.

justfishing
<'))))><
Old 07-26-2006, 06:23 PM

If you want to fish the Clinch River, the best time to wade is on the weekends when they stop generation at 6 o'clock on saturday and sunday. And, one of the popular places to wade is at the dam below the weir dam, thats usually where I go to wade. And, if you wanted a guide CR Outfitters is only about 5 or 10 mins. from the fishing area.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:54 PM

If you start fishing the Clinch at Millers Island you can fish there till about 1 hour after they turn the generators on at the dam then the water comes up. After you're done there you can move to the Anderson County Jail and fish there till about 4 hours after the generators begin to push water. The water will be cold and clear use a BHPT or a Zebra nymph below a strike indicator. Good luck!!