Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-15-2006, 05:58 PM

Default norris dam/clinch river release times...

I fished the river above the jail a couple weeks back, and ever since I have been waiting for time to get back, but every time I check the dam release times, they interfere with the times I have a available. I guess because of the demand for electricity won't allow for less generation times. When the dam is generating with 2 or more turbines, is there an area that is wadable above the jail? :-?
Old 08-16-2006, 07:38 AM

Default Re: norris dam/clinch river release times...

Not that I know of. I know of the frustration with 2 gen. going. I wouldn't recommend going near the river at 2 gen. It is way too dangerous.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:20 AM

I moved to Maryville from Mississippi in January and needless to say, the fishing is somewhat different from jerking bluegills out of area lakes and redfish out of the marsh. I have been fishing in the park for the past 7 months and finally went to the Clinch behind the jail this past Sunday. The water just looked dangerous and I never got my gear out of my truck.

Where can I find the generation schedules and what will that tell me. How long after they start releasing water can I fish safely, etc... I would love to have a different place to fish but being new to the area, I just go on what this message board tells me. Any help would be appreciated on this area.

Thanks,

TE
Old 08-16-2006, 06:28 PM

Here's the TVA web site tha will give you the generations schedule http://www.lakeinfo.tva.gov/. This site http://www.crctu.com/Drain_Down/clinch_drain.htm will give you the information you need to fish various parts of the river. Good Luck!!!
Old 08-16-2006, 09:17 PM

TE!

The jail area was fishable until late afternoon this past Sunday. I was there. If the generation calls for two or more at startup from zero it will take at least 4 to 6 hours to reach hwy 61 bridge. Going down from two or more to wadeable will take at least 8 hours if not 10.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:31 AM

Thanks Hans!!! That makes sense. What size fish should I expect to encounter in this river and should I use the same type and size flies as in the mountain streams?
Old 08-17-2006, 07:48 AM

well, I'm no expert on Clinch and you might have to go to Rockyraccons's board, can't remember the URL but do a search in google. on East TN Flyfishing Rocky Racoon or something like that and you should be able to find that board. There are a lot of Clinch river experts on that board. I do fish Clinch as a backup when the mountain streams are blown out or when I don't have enough time to get up there. Clinch is technical at times and sometimes you can catch a lot of stockers on bh nymphs. In late season the river tends to fish better with small midges. Zebra midges, small copper john's etc. I'm talking size 20 and 22 with 6x tippet. In the spring and early summer I fish it with bigger bh's like Prince in size 12 or 14. The people that know how to fish Clinch will catch good size fish and a lot of em' people like me who are really mountain fishermen have hit and miss fishing due to the fact that Clinch asks more out of you than a mountain stream does. Hope this helps and remember other people know a whole lot more about Clinch than I do.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:04 AM

I don't think I even own a nymph that small. I am just now learning the fine art of catching the mountain trout on whatever I have in my box (mostly dry flies). Thanks for the info and I just wanted to let you know that East TN has everything that I have always hoped for in a place to live...beautiful scenery, nice people, great fishing, abundant wildlife and much cooler weather that in Mississippi.

I tell people that I can't believe that I didn't move up here sooner. I went home about 2 weeks ago and the heat and humidity was incredible. I lived with that for 39 years and didn't think it was that bad but trust me, it is horribly hot down there but it will always be home.

Anyway, thanks for the tips and maybe we will cross paths on the water at some point.

TE
Old 08-17-2006, 11:02 AM

TE,

Long time no see. Haven't seen you since that rainy day at Metcalf Bottoms around mid Spring, how've you been?

Concerning the Clinch, try using a zug bug if nothing else will work for you. I fished over there just below the dam in late spring and didn't do very well, but a dude up stream was throwing the zb's and catching a few. May work this time of year, I don't know. Also, try to find a spot where a good deal of water is funneled into a nice run with a little depth. Those areas have produced better size fish for me than your average riffle or shallow run. The riffles will hold some decent size fish, though, so don't overlook them if you can find one that's not prarie dogged.

Good luck and let's hit the park sometime.
Bryon H.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:00 PM

Been doing pretty good except not enough time on the water lately. I really enjoyed fishing the mountains in the cooler weather with more water. Bugs were hatching more and I just seemed to be more successful in the cold. This is probably not true for everyone but the cooler the better for me.

Thanks for the tips and maybe if you would like, shoot me a pm and we can try to hook up for a trip sometimes.

Take care,

TE