Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 10-02-2006, 10:57 AM

Default Trout reading favorites

Hey all,

I wasn't really sure where to put this topic, so I stuck it here. *
I was wondering what some of the boards favorite trout reads are.
As Fall comes around it seems that sitting on the porch, or by the fire with a good fishing book is a great way to pass the time until the next fishing trip. (Other than spending way too much time on message boards, of course.) *
I'm just finishing up Thomas McGuane's "The Longest Silence". While this is a very good book, and excellent reading, it sometimes seems way over my head.
Which isn't saying much.
I really enjoyed the Red Green Show. *
My real favorites have been John Gierach's "Trout Bum" and "Standing in a River Waving a Stick".

What are yours?

Thanks

justfishing
<'))))><
Old 10-02-2006, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Trout reading favorites

Trout Bum is probably my favorite fly fishing book. I have read it 2 times in the last 4 years and still laugh at some of the stories. John Geirach has another book out titled "Still Life with Brook Trout" I want to get it for this winter. Amazon.com has it. Another book to have is "Prospecting for Trout" by Tom Rosenbauer. It is a pretty good technical book offering techniques to become a better angler. It can be very basic though but sometimes it doesn't hurt to refresh yourself.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:36 PM

Thanks Troutman,

Guess we don't have as many readers in this group as I thought. * Just Kidding *

justfishing
<'))))><
Old 10-03-2006, 10:11 PM

I have read nearly all of John Gierach's books (currently reading Still Life with Brook Trout . *Also liked Howell Raines book Fly Fishing Through the Midlife Crisis and highly recommend it as a good read. Can't recall the writer but another good book and story is A Good Life Wasted that I got from local library. I'm sure it is available from Amazon. And don't leave out PAt McMaus books if you like really good humorous writing. *
I read a lot.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:32 PM

That should have read Pat McManus. He is a long time contributor to "Out Door Life" Magazine.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:57 PM

Stillwater,

Thanks. I picked up Still Life yesterday. I'll check out Pat McManus, cuz I definitely enjoy humor. *

justfishing
<'))))><
Old 10-04-2006, 09:56 AM

My vote goes for any of James Babb's books. Fly Fishing Fool is probably my favorite out of the three. For those not in the know, James is Walter Babb's younger brother. He is an extremely talented writer. I may
be a little biased since I hail from the same town as James and Walter
He has several stories about some of my favorite spots in the Smokies as well as the Tellico area. Check them out some time, they are fun reads.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:44 PM

I want to second the choice of Fly Fishing through the Midlife Crisis as the best fly fishing book around.About ten years ago I was looking for a new hobby, since golf was just not very relaxing.I told my wife I may buy a Harley or take up fly fishing.Well the next day or so she gave me a copy of Howell Raines book and after reading it I was hooked,no pun intended.Since then I have gone back and read it several times and have given copies of it to my fishing buddies.If you have not read it you should give it a try, it is a little hard to fine,but just like stalking a wild trout worth the chase.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT

Its not a fishing book. But it sure is a **** good book. Has anyone read "Marley and Me" by John Grogan. It is by-far the best book Ive ever read. I laughed and cried and laughed some more. Truly life changing.

MTN_TRT
"LIFE IS GOOD"

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com
Old 10-07-2006, 12:40 PM

"a good life wasted" is by dave or david ames. I can't recommend this book enough. i think i read the whole thing in one day. its supposedly true, but some of the stuff definitely has to be fabricated. the basic story line is about a guy (the author) who decides he hates his life working in a cubicle and walks out one day and decides he's just going to fish all the blue ribbon trout waters out west. not having a family or kids, I know i've almost done this more than once. anyway, he ends up on his last 3 bucks in a bar when he overhears someone talking about being short a guide. he lies, says he's a guide (he'd never guided before, and didnt know anything about the local area) and wings it. so the book follows him as he falls into this life. if you've ever wondered what could happen if you just left it all behind and fished, you have to read this.