Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 10-12-2006, 09:49 PM

Default Fishpond Shooting Star

Was wondering if anyone has any experience with this chest/backpack system? It seems really nice and i could really use it during my hike-in trips, which is the norm for me. Not having a backpack with the necessary essentials prevents me from doing the longer trips so i'm in the market for one and this seems about as nice as there is. Thanks alot.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:10 AM

Default Re: Fishpond Shooting Star

just this last August I purchased a fishpond system from LRO for myself and one for my fiance. The quality appears to be wonderful, but more importantly, the comfort was incredible. There was so much more freedom and the chest pack was a delite to work with on the stream. *These units have extra fly boards available so you can separate your flies and put your desired selection in the table ( the part that opens and displays your flies. I would suggest that you put your fly boards that you are not using into a zip lock or something like that as I had a few flies fall off and this appears to catch them so they don't get loose in the pack. Also, the strap system is comfortable...watch the straps as you look at other systems as the units with just a flat nylon strap would eventually wear on your neck area and other contact points. I would highly recommend the fishpond line of equipment.......ps, there are alot of loops and areas to attach needed equipment for on the water

buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 10-13-2006, 10:26 AM

I purchased the Orvis backpack with the removable chest pack and water bladder. It's great to have the space for everything in one location, including two rod slots and reel pockets. The removable chest pack is handy once you get where you are hiking to.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:23 PM

Thanks guys! It looks like a really nice outfit and i really want one, the only complaint i have is the steep price, but i guess when you think about all the stuff that you are getting it's really not bad at all. Does it have any small pockets like on the side of the pack? It would be nice if it had a pocket like that so i could put my camera in there and just reach around a little bit and pull it out. Again, thanks for the replies.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:19 AM

I was just looking at LRO's online store and noticed the new fishpond high country tech pack and it looks really neat. If anyone from LRO is reading this, i would like to know what you thought of it. I am VERY interested in it, i actually like it better than the shooting star.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:31 PM

As far as cost goes, my father-in-law helped my wife purchase a nice fishing vest for my birthday when we first got married. It cost in excess of $120. That was 15 years ago, and the thing is still a long way from finished. I am trading it out to a chest pack of some sort, because I think it will be handier. But all in all that is only like $8/year. Makes saving up your lunch money to make the purchase sounds like a better investment that way.

So far, it looks like the Fishpond stuff is pretty quality stuff. I am thinking it should demonstrate the same performance. Now I just have to decide which one fits me. Any suggestions?
Old 10-16-2006, 06:51 PM

I saw the High Country Tech Pack at the Fly Tackle Dealer Show in Denver back in August. It was Fishpond's featured New Product. It looked great but that was a busy time and I can't remember that much about it. As far as I know all the new Fishpond products will be here at the store this week. We ordered everything and I think Daniel said everything shipped. Give us a call in a day or two and we'll give you more information. Fishpond is one of my favorite companies. They make great gear.

Byron
Old 10-16-2006, 07:32 PM

hey Ark......you will love the fishpond products, I am absolutely satisfied with my chest pack and it replaced an Orvis Guide vest....I will probably upgrade to the combo chest/back pack next year so I can do some good hike in fishing......

leaving in approx. 4 hrs (4:00am) for Townsend to spend the rest of week fishing and hiking/photo taking......

been dreaming about that prime rib dinner at Timbers since August....hmmmmm

buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 10-18-2006, 10:43 AM

Ok, finally got my hands on a couple of Fishpond chest packs to look at. Have seen the vest, luggage etc before, but never the chest packs.

Looks like it is between the Blue River, chest/lumbar pack, and the Windwalker chest pack. it appears to me that the main difference is one is verticle and one is horizontal. The Windwalker looks slightly bigger, but the Blue River seems to have a roomier pockets since they all have the similar dimensions.

As far as the little fly holders ( zip lock bags and the like). It appears that if you were to put the hook side of some adhesive velcro strips on the botom of a tandard fly box that it would stick real good.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-19-2006, 10:34 AM

mtnman2888,

The new Fishpond items just showed up yesterday afternoon. *There is some very cool stuff for Fall. *The new Timberline thermos/flasks are very neat and the coolers and new Sweetwater reel cases are great!

The High Country Tech Pack is a neat pack. *It only comes in the one color, Moss Green with Orange accents. *It does not have a way to secure a rod tube to the side of it. *It doesn't even have some compression straps on the side like the Double Haul does.

The Shooting Star Pack sounds like it would be perfect for you. *It has places on both sides of the pack to hold a rod tube and also attachment straps on the bottom of the pack. *You can use a hydration system with this bag and it also has spots to put water bottles. *On the top of the pack is a water resistant place to put a camera. *It is right on top of the pack behind your head and it is even fleece lined. *Store in the very bottom of the pack is a raincover that you can pull out if it begins to shower. *This is definetly a great pack! *We have the Moss Green in stock.

Daniel