Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 10-17-2006, 08:01 PM

Default Arkansas

I'm headed to the Mountain Home area of Arkansas this Sunday and will be there all week. A small group of us are going. The first couple of days will be spent floating the Buffalo river and hopefully catching some of rivers smallmouth. After that, we'll spend some days floating and wading the White river. I've spent some time on the Norfork and I think we'll hit it as well. Just wondering, has anyone on this site floated the Buffalo before? We will be in the middle section to the lower section. Just curious as to what we should expect as far as water conditons, flow, depth, etc. And of course, the smallmouth fishing. Will post a report after the trip.

mstone
Old 10-18-2006, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Arkansas

The Buffalo is a slow float this time of year. We had a nice rain Sunday and Monday, but that will clear by the time you get there. Class I rapids (if your real technical about it). Nothing that should cause a turnover unless your just not paying attention. It will be a nice day. Deep pools probably average 10-12 feet. Deeper than that will be the exception.

I haven't fished the Buffalo in a while, but I live about 400 yds from a nice smallmouth stream, and olive or olive and black whooly buggers seem to be a goto. I like one with a little mylar rib on it sometimes to. You can agitate them into biting sometimes. stimulators EHC dave's hopper crayfish imitations. and go from there.

If you have any other questions, I hope I can help. Otherwise let me know how your trip goes.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:37 PM

Arkansastraveler,
thanks for the reply. That gives me a little more to go on. Scince you answered my question about the depth, let me ask one more question. Just for kicks and giggles, I thought about taking along a light spinning rod. Would it pay to have a light carolina rig with plastic lizards or crawfish. Even a small white spinnerbait? Don't really want to pack along something extra if its not worth it. Would rather stick to the flyrod if thats working.

Thanks again,
mstone
Old 10-19-2006, 02:28 PM

A carolina rig works great on a little ultra light. Rooster tails, all of the standard fair. Try a carolina rig with a zonker strip leech. all the plastic worm colors apply. the old muddler minnow with a tad bit of red saddle tied as a wing under the collar.

There is also a little spinner called a super duper that they used to sell up there. It is bent back on itself, so it makes a bit of a "U" shape, and is generally painted up like a little rainbow trout, but I have also seen brown trout coloring, and brass with a red blaze across the leading edge. It has a single trebble hook on the trainling edge. Those things will get anything that is hungry chasing it through the water.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Try a carolina rig with a zonker strip leech.
On your fly rod that is.