Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 10-27-2006, 01:41 PM

Default Winston BIIX?

I am looking into getting one of these rods here within the next month or so, a BIIX 3 weight probably about 8 1/2'. I have casted one and i loved it, it felt really natural and extremely lightweight. Was wondering if anyone has played around with the 3 weight and what you thought of it. I just wonder if it is strong enough to do some light nymphing. It will be used for small stream fishing for wild fish and i will mostly use dry flies, but occasionally i will use a dropper and the rod has to be strong enough to do that, as well as fishing with two nymphs. Anyways, just wondering if anyone has it and what they thought of it. Thanks
Old 10-27-2006, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Winston BIIX?

I used my dads once and I loved it too. I think it will do well in small streams because it is lightwighet. In small streams you just flick it into the water and that rod will be well. dry flys would be perfect for it but the dropper you'll have to wait for another reply on that one. Thats all I know.

Giantfish
Old 10-29-2006, 02:32 PM

I also could use some advice on a good, lightweight reel to match up with the rod if anyone knows of anything. This rod is extremely light and i don't want a heavy reel on there, would make it feel awkward.......

Thanks again!!
Old 10-29-2006, 06:35 PM

My two choices for that rod would be the Orvis BBS or the Lamson Litespeed. The litespeed is a large arbor so it edges out the BBS for my uses. The BBS is a good bit less money, though.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:46 PM

I would go with the Orvis BBS II for that rod. I bought one recenly for my new 3 wt and abosultely love it!! Very smooth and light.

All those who believe in Telekinesis, please raise my hand.

50.67% of all statistics are made up.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:06 AM

Do y'all have the 3 weight rod? What do you think of it??

I looked at the lamson litespeed and it's still heavier than the rod by about half an ounce. I don't know much about matching up a rod and reel based on weight, is there any tips or advice on it?? Do you want something that's at least lighter than the rod or what? I also looked at a ross evolution and it weighs slightly more than the lamson, but not much. Just don't really know the guidelines for matching up a rod and reel. Thanks for all the input by the way!
Old 10-30-2006, 12:23 PM

I don't have the Winston BIIX that you are looking at, I built my 3 wt but it is very light. I think you would be hard pressed to find a reel that is lighter than the rod anyway. You just need a reel that balances well with the rod. For a light rod you will need a lighter reel. I would take your new rod to LRO and try on a few reels, that's what I did anyway.

All those who believe in Telekinesis, please raise my hand.

50.67% of all statistics are made up.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:33 PM

hey mtnman.....I use a 3wt GLoomis and put a lower end Loomis Adventure 3 on it....you will love this weight in the park.....LRO has many nice reels that are machined bar stock and will give you the light weight that you want, I agree with Griff.....take your rod to LRO and you can try out a multitude of reels to get that fit you are looking for.....I don't reqret going with a $99 reel with my current set up, but I believe that my next set up will be a bit of an indulgence ( you can do that once the kids are out of school and on thier own...lol...), pluse I wasn't sure about the 3wt when I picked that unit up, but now I swear by the lighter equipment for the park....

buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 10-30-2006, 06:46 PM

Hey, what I sugest is to find someone that does have or go to the shop and ask if you can test the different waits. I did it when I went to a shop to see if the rod my dad got me would do good for me. So test out if you can the rods and reels before buying. I hope I'm not telling you this to late . Hope you catch a giant fish with what ever you get.

Giantfish
Old 10-30-2006, 09:15 PM

I would love to go to LRO and try some different reels out! Unfortunately, i live about 4 hours away in nc, haha. I have looked up some online and found several different ones that i like, such as the lamson litespeed, ross evolution, and nautilus featherweight. All weigh in at under 4 oz., while the rod is a tick under 3 oz.