Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 12-16-2006, 08:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to FFM4LIFE
Default Any one fish the clinch today?

Did any one do any good on the clinch today?
Old 12-16-2006, 09:44 PM

Default Re: Any one fish the clinch today?

I'm going tomorrow. If anyone wants to join, I'll be at Miller's Isalnd at about 11:30-ish. I'd welcome the company.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:24 AM

Saturday was my first trip up there.

Last weekend (inspired by recent posts here), I figured after ignoring the tailwaters for the last 25 years, maybe I was missing something.... So I decided to give them a try (and it gave me a pretty good excuse to spend last Sunday morning tying up a bunch of small flies). Usually spend my time on the North & Bald rivers and of course The Park. The Hiwassee is an hour closer to my home (Chattanooga) but figured my first serious foray into the tailwaters ought to be with no generation and they were running the Hiwassee all day it appeared. I do plan on investing some time on the Hiwassee this winter though.

After about 45 minutes checking out the various access points, went with Miller's Island due to a big crowd up river (a lot rises up by the dam though). I went down the far side and back up the near side, picked up 3 browns and 5 rainbows. Probably missed 3/4 as many strikes.

Started with an olive thread midge (sz 22) dropped of a mercury black beauty (sz 20). Picked up 2 on the MBB with the dropper receiving only one strike (that I could notice). *Briefly tried a cdc emerger (sz 20) on one fish that was rising regularly (with no success). Did some thinking, figured the larger / flashier fly of my previous rig picked up all the fish so maybe a bit more size, a bit more flash? Out came a red brassie (sz 1. Picked up 6. *Curiously, most of my missed strikes came on the MBB, not sure if that was a function of my being rusty early, less hooking efficiency of the smaller hook or the fish just committing to the brassie.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:08 AM

red brassie? thanks for the tip!