Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Salmon and Steelhead

Old 02-01-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Steelhead or Lake Run Fish (local)

Hey,
I fish over on Snowbird alot for the Steelhead that run out of Santeetlah as many of you know. I have come across something I have never seen on the creek this season, that is a pod of said fish. I have not had any success hooking them I don't think these fish are holding behind a hen (can't see her if she is there). I have managed a few follows but no takes. Is this a situation that steelheaders deal with and (if so) does anyone on the site have any advice? I am thinking next trip I will try a really big streamer to try to draw a territorial strike. I have fished to Kings in Michigan holding behind a hen and this seems to be a different scenario. Any thoughts appreciated!
John
Old 02-04-2007, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Steelhead or Lake Run Fish (local)

John,

Girdle Bug.

Byron
Old 02-05-2007, 04:28 PM

Thanks Byron,
I will let you know what happens.
Best,
John
Old 02-09-2007, 11:53 AM

I don't have a lot of experience, but I have cast to some pods for long periods of time and even had the drift drag a fly across their backs with no action. * On the other hand, I have caught most of my fish from groups. *The only 2 patterns that I have observed is the more surface ripple the more likely I am to get a hit and I have yet to get a hit from a pod of more than 5 fish.. *Also, the brighter the sky, the smaller the fly. *I usually try a bugger with a nymph or egg dropper just to cover my bases. * They can be incredibly frustrating fish, but worth the wait.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:04 PM

Got it Buckeye Rick, Thanks!
Hope your weekend is a good one!
John
Old 02-19-2007, 07:00 PM

Default Fishing to the pod

Well I finally managed to get one of those fish in the pod to eat, I know this because the fish was hooked "in the mouth" ! I managed to land a 20" fish from the pod on Saturday...........and now I must admit my eyes are not what they used to be. The 20" fish and all the refusals were for good reason, it was/is a school of suckers! They really don't put up much of a fight either. I bet I have spent 3-4 hours drifting and swinging various nymphs and streamers through that pod............... of Red Horse suckers!
Such is life,
Warmer water and weather is on the way though, life is good!
Best,
John
Old 02-21-2007, 11:45 AM

Default Oh yeah - suckers

Forgot to tell you about the suckers. They are kind of fun. As you get better at spotting the fish, you will notice that many times there are Trout with the suckers. Usually the Trout are bigger.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:34 PM

Default Sucker on both ends of the line!

I can usually see the suckers and the trout, this water is too deep to see anything but a shape. I did have some follows though and have to think those were trout. Won't be fishing them again any time soon though, too many other spots are consistantly good to spend any more on that one!
Tight lines,