Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 04-14-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Smallmouth 4-14-07

I woke up this morning at around 7:00, made coffee and then watched the weather for 30 minutes to try and make my mind up if I was going to go fishing or not. I finally just made myself get my stuff together and get out of the apartment. I thought about hitting some new water today since I only had about two hours to fish. After a quick 40 minute drive and a refill on the coffee I was at the river.

I quickly rigged up and tied on one of the last two zonkers I had in my box and waded out. The sun wasnt out today so that ment the sunglasses stayed in the car because it was too dark with them, but I noticed how difficult it was to see down where I was walking without the glasses. Well after about 25 yards into the water I went down face first into about shin deep water but luckly I had a rain jacked on that had tight cuffs so not too much water went under to my shirt. Well with that promising start I quickly began to work my way downstream. One of the first bites I had was at the end of a really perfect looking run so I felt a really nice bump and set the hook and felt the fish pull back. So as I put more pressure on him I felt the line go slack and almost hit me in the face. So with that unfortunate event passed me I tied on my last zonker and proceded to work the same hole. After a couple more cast later I had the same think happen to me. At this point I was pretty steamed and then realized what was happening. I still had some 6x tippet on and this just wasnt going to cut it today. So with that blunder behind me I quickly tied on some 4x on and with no more zonkers I switched to another streamer and then hooked in the fat daddy of the morning...
This fish absolutely hammered my fly and came out of the water atleast 4 or 5 times. All I could think about was how glad I was that there wasnt 6x tippet on the end of my line for this fish because he really bullydogged me hard a bunch of times. When I finally got the fish to had I walked him over to the bank so I could get the measurement shot and as you can see he was way over the 12 inch mark on my rod....guess I need to extended it out alittle.!

I ended up cathching 3 more fish the rest of the day and one was close to the size of the first one but not quite. Anyway I called it a day around 10:30 and headed to LRO to stock up on flies and 4x leaders and also show off the pic of my fish to the guy who recommended the spot I was fishing...thanks again.

All in all I was really glad that I didnt sleep in this morning even if the radar looked as if I wasnt going to get any fishing done. Hope yall enjoy the pics. The first three are of the same fish and then the last one is the next biggest of the day.

I just put my rod together and from the handle to the gold line is 16.5 inches....man I am pumped!

Old 04-14-2007, 08:28 PM

Nice fish! You're making me want to go catch some smallies...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-14-2007, 08:30 PM

NICE Smallie! great picts. That Clouser is very easy to tie and works well in different colors. You can go much larger on your tippet size also.The smallest I use for streamers is 3X. 2X is better in flourocarbon and stained water. Save the 4X for trout flies and bluegill poppers.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:31 PM

I'll second the larger tippet! For added action on 2x-0x tippet, try a small loop knot! Darn Nice fish!

AA
Old 04-15-2007, 09:29 PM

Default Smallies

Nice fish!....... I'll be the 3rd to say something about the bigger tippet. There was an excellent article on smallmouth fishing and tackle in the April Fly Rod & Reel. Don't worry about the 3x a bit. Looks like you've got it figured out anyway!
Tight lines,
John
Old 04-15-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachian angler View Post
I'll second the larger tippet! For added action on 2x-0x tippet, try a small loop knot! Darn Nice fish!

AA

Can you tell me more about this loop knot youre talking about?
Old 04-15-2007, 10:32 PM

Default Loop knot

You can use any of several knots that leave a slight loop at the connection to the hook eye. Lets the fly move a bit more freely.

sb
Old 04-16-2007, 02:32 PM

no slip mono