Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 07-12-2007, 09:39 AM

Question Bonefish, Maybe

I'm going to Islamorada and was wanting to try to catch some fish while I was there. My mom won't pay for a guide and my brother gets sea sick. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how, when, and where I should try to catch some bonefish.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:35 PM

3wt,

Islamorada is a beautiful place. You will love it. If I were you I would just find some flats near shore and go fishing. Try some clousers and start casting. There is no telling what you will catch, baracudda, ladyfish and maybe a bonefish. But to try to target just one species such as bonefish might be a tough thing to do. I think you can still rent a small Boston Whaler at Robbie's dock down at the end of the key toward Key West. Take some wire tippet just in case you encounter baracuda. They are a blast to catch on a fly but they will cut your mono most of the time. If you go to Robbie's check out his pet tarpon around the dock. But don't cast to them, he'll get after you for that. Ask George Bush SR. Go to Sandy Moret's Fly Shop or Worldwide Sportsman, tell them you can't afford a guide and ask for advice. If you get the right person, they will help you. Take some long needle nose pliers, maybe two pair. Some of those fish have teeth so don't stick your fingers in their mouth.

Byron
Old 07-13-2007, 09:52 AM

Default Bonefish, maybe

Also, get info on the tides in the areas you plan to fish. No sense trying to fish for 'bones on a high tide! A good place to wade is the big flat on the oceanside of the island just before the Long Key bridge. Wading in that area is generally sandy bottom. If you're fortunate you'll see the bonefish "tailing" as they're feeding. It's like stalking deer! Enjoy.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:32 AM

Try long Key State Park at the Crack of dawn and a low tide. I camp there almost yearly for two weeks at a time. I've seen bones on the flat before the bridge but The 3 nasty girls- Katrinia, Rita and Wilma have tore up the grasses there. Don't know what to expect. I would walk in or ride a bike to the "picnic-beach area" at the campground entrance, then walk slowly to the EAST. I caught and lost lots of bones off the beach area but it's grass beds are destroyed. A lot of bones cruise off the nature trail board walk area but the area is extremely muddy. Fish a small crab pattern flourcarbon tippet and have it on the bottom before the fish gets there. Keys bones are big and got that way by being extremely wary. Anne's beach at dawn also is worth a try.
If you don't have expereince- DON"T expect bonefishing like you see on TV. These fish are fished hard- can probably tell you who tied the fly.

Also get some heavier tackle and fish a chartreuese tube lure around Long Key Bridge get the cuda mad, the drop bait in fron of them. Lots of 4-5 foot cuda around the bridge. lots of fun during the day.