Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fisheries Management & Biology

Old 08-27-2007, 11:39 AM

Default Brook Trout Survival

Joe Swann just called me. He told me about this article that appeared in the Knoxville News Sentinel yesterday.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2007/au...ting-restless/

Byron
Old 08-27-2007, 09:30 PM

Definitely food for thought, to quote a bad pun...I read an article on a blog somewhere a few months ago on this very topic; the author made the argument that C&R was more of a marketing ploy than anything else. I don't know about that, but I have thought that it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep a few fish once in a while - if one of the girls tied into a nice one, to go ahead and keep it. The problem, as has been mentioned on another thread, is that most of us don't want to lug a cooler, etc along with us - that is one advantage of boat fishing.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:04 AM

ian, I'm a little the same way. I would like to keep some trout occasionally to eat (hey, free food, kind of at least). particularly stockers. however, I just don't ever feel like lugging them around on a stringer while I'm trying to fish.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:09 AM

Yep...it's hard to break out of the mindset of C&R. Certain fish you associate with keeping, like bream or, down here, speckled trout (saltwater); those fish reproduce in vast numbers - in the case of speckled trout, they spawn from May to September. It's a little different in the small streams in the mountains, plus the brookies are just now making a comeback - it would be hard for me to keep one, even if it would benefit the stream. It would be a little easier with the rainbows, as they aren't native. Of course, the challenge is that 7 inch mark - I seem to get a lot in the 6 inch range.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttas67 View Post
however, I just don't ever feel like lugging them around on a stringer while I'm trying to fish.
What about building a small cairn as you move upstream. This wouldn't work in some places, too many people, etc., but it is a great way to keep fish fresh while you fish. Find a spot on the stream with shallow, moving water, and arrange a few rocks into a circle to keep the fish from floating away. When you come back downstream, pick up the fish and put them on a stringer or a forked branch and destroy the cairns. The only problem I have ever had with this is the occassional kingfisher stealing the smallest fish.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Griffing View Post
What about building a small cairn as you move upstream. This wouldn't work in some places, too many people, etc., but it is a great way to keep fish fresh while you fish. Find a spot on the stream with shallow, moving water, and arrange a few rocks into a circle to keep the fish from floating away. When you come back downstream, pick up the fish and put them on a stringer or a forked branch and destroy the cairns. The only problem I have ever had with this is the occassional kingfisher stealing the smallest fish.

Brian

That is a great idea, in theory, but it is illegal to move rocks in the streams in the Park (not that people pay attention to the rule).

Paula
Old 08-28-2007, 02:24 PM

you could put them in a creel as well. mmmmm
Old 08-28-2007, 03:09 PM

Paula,
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know. Anyway, with all the traffic along streams in the Park, I have taken to bringing a stringer with me on all my trips, even though I have kept a total of two fish over the last year. When I did keep a fish I carried the stringer along and placed it in the river when I was casting, with the rope end under my foot, under a rock, or up on the bank so that it wouldn't float away.
Also, it was nice talking to you and Byron yesterday. The gentleman that spooled that old reel for me was helpful and courteous. The store has very friendly feel to it; just a plug for anyone reading that hasn't stopped in.
-Brian