Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fisheries Management & Biology

Old 09-02-2007, 05:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Post Here we go again...Proposed Clinch Slot Limit

Not really a new thread...

Here's a link to an article by Bob Hodge in this morning's Knoxville News Sentinel regarding a new slot limit proposal for the Clinch River.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2007/se...h-riles-lucro/

On the same page, there was another story, also by Bob Hodge, about a Gatlinburg pier designed for handicapped fishermen. This topic also appears on this board under another thread. Two by Bob Hodge on the same day!

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2007/se...-be-dedicated/

Gerry Romer

Last edited by Gerry Romer; 09-02-2007 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: add'l info
Old 09-03-2007, 10:07 AM

Where is everyone Gerry? I expected my monitor to be melting by now.
Thanks for the post. I put it on the fishing report this morning.

Byron
Old 09-03-2007, 11:18 AM

Default Drought again

Byron,

I believe the drought has carried over to the board. This stream flow is definitely down and the temps are rather tepid. All the fly fisherpersons are obviously huddled in the riffles, waiting for a cloudburst.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 09-03-2007, 01:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Well, we did have some combat fishing on the Clinch this morning...

More later

Gerry
Old 09-03-2007, 04:39 PM

I was there on the Clinch this morning also...combat fishing, but I have seen worse. I was in the white GMC 4x4.

Back to the slot limit: All I can say is bring it on! I practice C&R 99 & 44/100th's% of the time so it won't hurt my feelings!

Where do I vote...I seemed to miss that part of the article?

AA
Old 09-03-2007, 04:58 PM

I am all for the slot limits. It would make the Clinch a trophy stretch of waters. I am sympathetic to some of the claims made by the local landowners but a little education of what the river can become in the future will hopefully win out.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:24 AM

THe slot probably wouldn't lower the number of trout stockings needed. IT would however, increase the numbers of quality fish in the proposed slot limit.

So, once the fish reach the slot they will be protected. They would still be fair game before they reach the protective slot. So, the folks who want to take some home can, it's not like the smaller fish are hard to catch. So, the C&R guys can still release them all yet get into a few more quality fish along the way. The kill it and grill it crowd can still keep fish. So all should be happy and we should all start seeing more of those Clinch torpedos that we all love to tangle with.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:39 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyraccoon View Post
THe slot probably wouldn't lower the number of trout stockings needed.

You are correct. It appears TWRA has done a over kill. Most of the fish are fry they have thrown in and have little to no survivability

IT would however, increase the numbers of quality fish in the proposed slot limit.

Quality an interesting word. TWRA talks of different peoples ideas on quality being vastly different

So, once the fish reach the slot they will be protected. They would still be fair game before they reach the protective slot. So, the folks who want to take some home can,

Many in the "catch and harvest" crowd feel that the 14-20 in fish are better tasting.

So all should be happy and we should all start seeing more of those Clinch torpedos that we all love to tangle with.
I have seen and tangled with plenty of them this year and in years past.

Glad to see where someone the other day someone recognized you for your good service. I sent you a email the other day I hope you got it
Old 09-05-2007, 09:50 PM

i know that the guys from twrc and twra have been fishing with the kentucky fisherys guys on the cumberland, they have done this more than once , and have been impressed with the quality of fish and numbers . i hope this translates to quality fishing here in tn. but it seems that the clinch land owner association are opposed to any changes and are threating legal action.
i don't understand the beef they have.they still can keep a limit of those little stocker they have always kept.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
they still can keep a limit of those little stocker they have always kept.
True, and in the case of most slot limit scenarios.....they can still keep a real trophy as well if they so desire as most slots allow one fish over the protected slot.

Not that I support that or anything...but we'd have to honor it and not look down our noses at those who decided to.

A slot limit on the Clinch would be a wonderful thing. As would all of the fly guys, hardware fishermen, bait chuckers, and land owners working together to really better fishery.