Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fishing Classic Rods and Gear

Old 12-20-2007, 05:53 PM

Default Glass rods and bamboo

Ok , I'll get this started. I like to fish fiberglass rods because of the slower action and toughness of these rods. I use a lamiglass honey 7ft 3wt for small streams and occasionaly bluegill. A Diamondglass 8ft 5wt for med size streams and the tailwaters. This is the smoothest casting rod I have ever used. For the big bass poppers and streamers, I picked up a 1970s Fenwick Feralite 8' 7wt, a fantastic rod for carp also.
Anyone else on here care to share what they use and for what type of waters/species?
I just received a rebuilt vintage bamboo 7ft 5wt. that I hope with be used along side the Diamondglass.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:34 PM

Gary!

I hope you know I was just kidding with you about this new forum.
With that said, I began getting in to fiberglass a few years ago and was perusing the auction sites and message boards. I even joined the fiberglass forum. I think they still are out there. Anyway, I bought and sold a few low end South Bends and even took one 8 footer and cut a foot off of the butt end. I bought a cheap modern graphite reel seat and took some snake guides off of a broken graphite rod I had. I rewrapped the rod and spar varnished the windings. It is a fishbable rod in 7 ft length. It is now a little stiffer but okay to fish with. I had to make a decision if I was going to start buying more expensive rods or build a modern S glass one. I kind of got sidetracked with other stuff and just recently began tying flies again. However I'm interested in talking collectible stuff but I probably won't invest right now.

So that's my story.

Did I understand you right? Did Diamondback fold? their web site is still up. I know Cortland owns them but do you have any later info?
Old 12-20-2007, 09:46 PM

I have an old Eagle Claw 70's vintage 8' 7wt glass rod. It is smooth casting but I wouldn't call it my favorite rod. One thing I don't like about it is the "wiggle" after the stop on my front cast. It is a great rod for bass and for tossing the big poppers.

With that said, am getting a Redington RS3 9' 7wt for Christmas that I plan to use on the lakes for bass and carp.

Jeff
Old 12-21-2007, 01:10 PM

Hans, I don't think that Diamondback has shut down but I have heard that they are discontinuing several rods in their line. All repairs go to New York to Cortland and I have heard from several people say its only a matter of time. Like every American made rod company, its hard to compete with all the foreign made products that are so much cheaper.
I know you were just jiving me Hans!

Jeff, I like the soft tips on the glass rods. The wiggle effect is definitely something someone has to get used to. Dry fly presentations can be very soft and extra light tippet protection are a plus though.
This is a pict. of my lami 3wt with its first fish. A 14" Smallmouth on a popper. The rod was almost bent in half!

fishing for brookies with Bran

One thing you don't have to do with glass or bamboo is overline the rods to slow them down like the stiffer graphites. I used to do that myself to load the rod quicker for small streams and short cast. This is just my personal preferences, everyone has their own likes and dislikes.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:41 PM

Gary!

Do you have any updates on Lamiglass? They used to be all made in U.S.A. how about nowadays? Wal-Mart here in Powell used to sell lamis about five years ago. No more though.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:48 AM

The new DB's will come from China I have a 4 pc 7 1/2' 3 weight Lami & a 7' 3 pc 3 weight Scott Fibertouch, the Scott will handle a #6 popper & bass, although they are a lil tough to land with the rod bent double

Grumpy