Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-10-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
I think the bigger water of the MP tends to hold more large fish, at least until it gets near the headwaters...same for the east and west prongs, but I could be wrong...it's just been my experience, though I have heard others say the same. I was speaking more to the size of the water on that stretch. I agree where the roads are mean nothing to the fish.
In your opinion, what would be a large fish for the MP? Just wondering...as I rarely ever fish it. I do fish other streams in the area. My problem may be that I have never left the house saying that I am going to only target large fish. I'm starting to get interested in that a little but right now I just enjoy catching fish.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 04-11-2012, 12:11 AM

I've seen them in the 22" range and had them on in the 20" range. Big water generally means bigger fish in my experience. My average on the MP is around 11". Having said all of this, there may be some pro's on here that know better. I don't know that much compared to a guide. It's just from my observation over the past few years. I've seen others pull large fish from that area as well. I do believe that the occasional large fish can be found up high, I just think that a person stands a better chance of catching one on the EP, MP or WP down where the water is bigger. Anyway, I have a lot more of the park to fish before I can form a solid opinion. I just happen to like that stretch myself, at least so far...I may change my mind over time. The one thing I don't like about it is I usually see at least 3-4 other anglers when I go. Not a lot but a lot when you consider you can fish higher up or on the lower end of a head water and aren't likely to see any. I've fished Jakes Creek right by the campground and caught 12" fish and not seen anyone for hours...though that would be a large fish on that stretch, in my experience. The few small streams I've fished in the park my average is around 8-9". It goes up by 2-3" down low...now if I can just land one of those larger fish...I have a chance thanks to David's advice on tippet. He had told me before but I had forgotten. Sorry for the rant.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:11 AM

Tremont was one of the streams that I fished early in my beginning years in the Park since I was dependent on relatives to get me to the water....this was one of my grandfather's favorite streams and thus I got to know it fairly well...we would usually start fishing above the cascades back then and later when he couldn't hike very far the lower sections allowed him to fish along the roadside....the last time I fished up there with my son I managed a very colorful 12" bow from just above the last tall bridge...that section from the bridge to the parking area has some special memories for me...right now I am just counting the years until they let us back up Lynn Camp .
Old 04-11-2012, 10:51 AM

This is a nice thread, very informative! I love the MP area there, I mean it's beautiful and I've enjoyed fishing there several times. That said, I've not done very well there any of those trips, but, I've never done well at
Elkmont either. I've just never been able to figure out Little River at all but I can go over and catch fish in almost any of the PR watershed. I can't understand that, and maybe I just need to hire a guide one time on the LR to see what the heck I'm doing wrong.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I've seen them in the 22" range and had them on in the 20" range.
You must have a sixth sense in fish measuring ability to so accurately formulate the length of a fish without even bringing it to hand...

Unfortunately, in my experience they are often not as big as I thought once I get out the tape measure...

Kidding aside... I have no doubt that there are a few bigger browns lurking in some of those MP holes. For me personally, I fish the park just for the experience of being in the park and if I tag a big one, great! I have no problem at all catching a mess of 10" fish and find it just as fun. When I head to the mountains, I'm not really thinking 'big fish' or I would have just hit one of the tailwaters instead...

Tight Lines,
Old 04-11-2012, 11:57 AM

Yeah, these are just guesses. God knows I can't even measure with the fish in hand. As far as catching big fish in the park, it's a goal of mine. I'm happy to be in the park but want to get one or two big one's to hand to prove to myself that I can do it. I still enjoy the serenity though.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
As far as catching big fish in the park, it's a goal of mine. I'm happy to be in the park but want to get one or two big one's to hand to prove to myself that I can do it.
If you are hooking fish even remotely close in size to what you are claiming, I say don't sweat it... I would imagine that those bigger fish are pretty highly pressured along the MP and getting them on the end of your line is the real accomplishment. Anyone can lose a big fish, happens to me all the time... However, not everyone can convince them to bite though... sounds like you have a leg up on a lot of folks when it comes to fishing the MPLR and I tip my hat to you...

Tight Lines,
Old 04-11-2012, 01:40 PM

I don't know...Maybe I'm just more easily impressed due to inexperience. As far as hooking into bigger fish, I think (emphasis on think) I have figured a couple of things out. As I've stated before, I am headed up on the 21st and will be staying (hopefully) at Elkmont for 9 days. I'll put my theories to the test as I've only been into a couple of really big ones. We'll see...I may come back humbled (probably will).
Old 04-11-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I don't know...Maybe I'm just more easily impressed due to inexperience. We'll see...I may come back humbled (probably will).
Either way...you'll be out there.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 04-11-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseMan77 View Post
Either way...you'll be out there.

Yes I will be! You guys drop by and say hello...I should have a bottle of something, beer and some chow.