Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 04-09-2012, 01:58 PM

Default Bombs Away!

I actually got a little free time Easter weekend to get out on the water by myself for a change. No kids in tow- although I love taking them, No guiding so to speak or not having to put people on fish. Just simply getting out and enjoying what God created.

I spent several nights tying up Stealth Bombers in various colors on a size 4 Gama hook thinking I might be able to keep the bream off. I can honestly say this was my first time to fish the bombers for my prized brown fish.

Glad I tied them. Just about couldn't keep the fish off of it, including some good bream. Thanks Byron for posting tying instructions in the past. A great Saturday afternoon dropping bombs on a little creek.

Caught a green ear sunfish (some people call them goggle eyes) right off the bat that swallowed the fly, then I made a rookie mistake. I made two false casts let the fly settle about 25 feet upstream above the tail out and a bomb went off upstream. BIG FISH!

Rookie mistake #1...WILD Rod up, overly excited HOOK SET!
Crack...I hear the rod tip snap on my brand new 4pc 5wt just above the ferrel of the tip section. NOT HAPPY

Rookie mistake #2...Left the big rods at the house.
So I load up the 4wt 4pc. And start over.

Second Fish, technically the 3rd but seeing as how I lost the 2nd fish after the rod tip shoved the fly out of his mouth during the fight and the fish went thrashing down creek, I don't have pics to show the smallie that was on the line.

So on it went like this for about 2 hours Just me and this little creek I love so much.

Da Bomber...

Food spit up in a fight.

Another one of these...

All colored up!

Then another one

And another...

Then things went quiet...very few strikes very few takers. Then a horrid smell...What the heck is that? OH man....Did I just cut the line with my teeth again. Mental note: MUST STOP DOING THAT!!!!

Further Upstream about 1 mile.

Around 6pm it was time to call it a day. Lost several nice fish that worked their way off on rock and moss. Had one break off on the initial strip set. Rookie mistake #3 - I did not re-tie after about 6 fish.
Went home tied up more Stealth Bombers and plan on getting out again soon.

Thanks for sticking with me on this long post.
~~~waders~~~
Old 04-09-2012, 10:02 PM

very cool! Thats my favorite type of streams to fish, mid size and wadable. dont need a boat and dont have to put up with jet boats running around you like I had this past weekend .
Go to Kent's website http://www.flyfishga.com/ for more on the stealth bomber. he is the originator and will be tying them again at troutfest if you make it up this year. I've been fishing them for several years now, and they along with foam blockheads are my favorite topwater flies. I tie so many now that I bought the cutters to make them to perfect proportions. I bought some crazy colored foam sheets last week and tied some with a green camo and a brown trout spot pattern also just for something different.
My PB smallmouth came on a chart green stealth a couple of years ago at 21" right at dark. looking forward to the smallies to start hitting topwater here. I fished this morning from sunrise till 10am and caught about 10-12 all on clousers.

I retie about every 3rd fish or after everything over 16" now also. have lost some nice fish over the years from forgetting to do that.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:41 AM

Thanks; will look up the tying instructions.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:14 AM

Troutman-
Send me a PM. I have some flies I want to send you to try.
Waders
Old 04-11-2012, 11:11 AM

We dont have the PM capability on this forum but here is my email and I am on facebook also. Thanks! gltroutman at gmail dot com
Old 04-11-2012, 03:29 PM

I think the Stealth is the best fly to come along in a long ,long time. I tie it in sizes 4-10 in black and fire tiger. THey just have to eat it. Kent is a good guy, Check out Fishing North Georgia and Beyond.
Lynn
Old 04-11-2012, 04:12 PM

Sorry to get a little off topic but Lynn, What hook are you tying the smaller SBs on? I use the Gama stingers for #4-6, and the TMC 104SP #8 for my smallest size stealths. I think that TMC discontinued them though. LRO hasn't had any in awhile. I like the #8 SP hook stealths for rockbass and bream fishing with my ultralight rods. I probably bought the last packs they had last year.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:36 AM

I use the same stinger hook Gary. I've tried other hook but keep going back. I tried octopus hook on the smallest and let it be a little over hanged in the back, but wasn't really fired up about it. Some of the 3xl streamer hooks work. Although I feel they hook a fish to far back in the throat so I stopped using them. Theres a salt water hook thats tin plated that I like, SC15( I think) would be my next fav. after the stinger.
Lynn
Old 04-12-2012, 02:25 PM

Very nice.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
Sorry to get a little off topic but Lynn, What hook are you tying the smaller SBs on? I use the Gama stingers for #4-6, and the TMC 104SP #8 for my smallest size stealths. I think that TMC discontinued them though. LRO hasn't had any in awhile. I like the #8 SP hook stealths for rockbass and bream fishing with my ultralight rods. I probably bought the last packs they had last year.
Gary, Hey sorry I goofed on the hook I told you. I also use a Tiemco thats nickle plated 8089np. It's a finer wire than the stinger BS10 I think. Only wished it came in a black finish.
Lynn