Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-11-2012, 09:35 PM

Default Millers

Having spent last couple of outings down at the jail, I decided to venture up to Millers and have a look see Tues. The last time I was there the rock snot was so bad, I literally turned around and left. Hated seeing that khaki color stream bed and toilet paper hatch. Anyhow, I arrived just as the water was dropping. After chatting with a newly retired gentlemen who gets to fish everyday (to be so lucky)- I hit river right with a pheasant tail. Plying the usual runs, sizable bows were definitely taking advantage of the diminishing flow. Several slot fish gave a great fight and some of the smaller bows had some pudge to them. Not sure if it was egg laden females, or just typical chunks.
When the water dropped, it seemed lower than what I remembered. I kept an eye out for redds, but didn't notice any. Not saying that there weren't any around - so hopefully I wasn't that guy Shawn mentioned.
I found a slot of feeding fish and managed a few on a blackfly dry. The water being slow and gin clear, those fish were wise to my game fairly quick. The wind also started to pick up with some irritating gusts. Wanting to move down, there were people in every hole, so headed over river left. Fish were rising all over and not a soul around. I broke out a caddis, and began picking up fish about every other cast. Pods of jake browns - mostly cookie cutter 12" - were a blast to round out the afternoon. Every now and then a sizable, renegade bow would stir the water into a froth trying to throw that hook. Got to love surprises. Maybe not too surprising was a very sporatic sulphur hatch, don't know if I'd call it a hatch per say, but there were some fluttering about.
Some pudge

Jake - nice teeth

This guys had been caught alot, Inoticed alot of hook damage on the other side...
Old 04-11-2012, 10:02 PM

Nice Report! Those are some healthy lookin fish. The water looks good too
Old 04-11-2012, 10:07 PM

Nice report. Have not been up to the island in a long time. Did fish the section at the jail last week with poor results. Can't wait for the sulphur hatch to get cranked up. I seemed to notice that there was not much didymo in those lower sections like there was at one time.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterborn View Post
When the water dropped, it seemed lower than what I remembered. I kept an eye out for redds, but didn't notice any. Not saying that there weren't any around - so hopefully I wasn't that guy Shawn mentioned.
The Miller's area is laden with Redds and they will become more apparent in the next few weeks. I was not trying to be condescending in my spawn post; just wanted to share an FYI for those that are interested. I really do not think fishermen walking on the beds are their biggest risk. Just something to think about and be aware of...
Quote:
Fish were rising all over and not a soul around. I broke out a caddis, and began picking up fish about every other cast.
I like to fish small dry caddis flies as midge imatations. The float and present super well. Plus, the fish seem to not care if they are caddis or midges. Note; midge emergers (18-20) have been working very well for me when fishing to a rise. Even though you cannot see the fly; let it present and keep your line ready for a take. Also; dropper rigs are good to get those bottom fish. I like to use a splitshot drop ahead of a nymph.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 04-12-2012, 11:36 AM

MadisonBoats are you fishing these emerger midges with a strike indicator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
The Miller's area is laden with Redds and they will become more apparent in the next few weeks. I was not trying to be condescending in my spawn post; just wanted to share an FYI for those that are interested. I really do not think fishermen walking on the beds are their biggest risk. Just something to think about and be aware of...
I like to fish small dry caddis flies as midge imatations. The float and present super well. Plus, the fish seem to not care if they are caddis or midges. Note; midge emergers (18-20) have been working very well for me when fishing to a rise. Even though you cannot see the fly; let it present and keep your line ready for a take. Also; dropper rigs are good to get those bottom fish. I like to use a splitshot drop ahead of a nymph.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundele View Post
MadisonBoats are you fishing these emerger midges with a strike indicator?
No, just fish them by feel. I miss a few; but, they seem to take more without an indicator hovering close by...Also; I probably get half of my takes when I start to reset my cast.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
I was not trying to be condescending in my spawn post; just wanted to share an FYI for those that are interested. I really do not think fishermen walking on the beds are their biggest risk. Just something to think about and be aware of...
Oh, I wasn't taking it as being condescending - not at all. I was merely pointing out that I may have been blissfully unaware. Though I know a redd when I see one, I was just thrilled to be out and about... but I think its a good message to tune in during the spring bows and fall browns spawning seasons...

Quote:
I actually do use a small elk hair ( Tiemco 501 #22) for both a midge and black fly dry. I hate fooling with that small of hackle so goin x caddis style works just as good. I know that in spring there are some sizable caddis that do come off and as well as those fish were feeding, I figured why not. Lot of times I'll fish a caddis with a midge emerger dropper, or a with sulpher and so on, but with just enough tag to keep the emerger in the upper column. Another way to do it, is do the indicator and shot, then lengthen your distance from the shot to your emerger - then the key here is frogs fanny your emerger. It'll float up tethered and the fanny puts a bubbly sheath on the fly and reinforces the emerging look. High sticking works, but I usually do that in the park.
Thanks for the replies guys...
Old 04-13-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
...........I actually do use a small elk hair ( Tiemco 501 #22) for both a midge and black fly dry. I hate fooling with that small of hackle so goin x caddis style works just as good. I know that in spring there are some sizable caddis that do come off and as well as those fish were feeding, I figured why not. Lot of times I'll fish a caddis with a midge emerger dropper, or a with sulpher and so on, but with just enough tag to keep the emerger in the upper column. Another way to do it, is do the indicator and shot, then lengthen your distance from the shot to your emerger - then the key here is frogs fanny your emerger. It'll float up tethered and the fanny puts a bubbly sheath on the fly and reinforces the emerging look. High sticking works, but I usually do that in the park.
Thanks for the replies guys...
Nice setup~I bet it works very well. Thanks for sharing and taking the time to post it...

Old 04-13-2012, 01:42 PM

Nice pictures and fish!
Old 04-15-2012, 03:10 PM

It sure is nice to have the Clinch back ain't it? Thanks for sharing your success with us!

Mike
2Timothy2:15