Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 04-10-2012, 11:36 PM

What about #37 (Lower walnut Bottoms) on Big Creek. It's an easy enough five mi. hike in and out Good campsites, and although I've never fished there (camped there numerous times in pre-ff days) , I've read and been told that there's pretty good fishing there and not much pressure on them either. I may be wrong, but just a thought.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattblick View Post
I have an unopened bottle of Maker's 46 in the cupboard as well..
Oooo.... I think that might have just put me over the edge.

Tight Lines,
Old 04-12-2012, 09:13 AM

#39, #40, or #41 maybe.

I've never stayed at 39 or 40 but I've been told they are nice sites that are on or close to some nice water. I've stayed at 41 a few years ago and I enjoyed it. Caldwell Fork goes right past the site. It is a horse camp but I went it looked as if it had been a long time since any horse campers had stayed there. The area around the horse rails was all overgrown. The Big Populars are a must see if you stay up there.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:34 AM

I want to thank everyone who made suggestions again! I have some new sites to check out this year for sure.

My first Backcountry trip in the park was in 1993. I've made a lot of trips to the park in the last 19 years and have only used 8 sites I can remember, and that one horse camp (which I've forgotten the number). It is about time I start checking out new ones.

I'm heavily leaning towards trying Noland Creek this trip. I've camped and fished Deep Creek, Forney, and Eagle - but never Noland. Everything I read says it is lightly used and beautiful with small but eager fish. I'm a poor enough angler that quantity over quality streams have big appeal.. (tnflyfisher bested me 4:1 in March near Elkmont)

I'm going to start driving down tonight and hope to make at least Corbin if not Knoxville. Depending on what time I can get the old man out of bed tomorrow morning will dictate if we stop at the short hike to 65 or venture on further to 64 (and give a horse site another try).

-Matt-

Last edited by mattblick; 04-12-2012 at 01:39 PM..
Old 04-12-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattblick View Post
I'm heavily leaning towards trying Forney Creek this trip. I've camped and fished Deep Creek, Noland, and Eagle - but never Forney. Everything I read says it is lightly used and beautiful with small but eager fish.

Depending on what time I can get the old man out of bed tomorrow morning will dictate if we stop at the short hike to 65 or venture on further to 64 (and give a horse site another try).
Matt,

Campsites #65 and #64 are on Noland Creek... is that what you meant?
There really isn't any easy access to Forney Creek. I have camped at #68 and even getting down there takes a little while.

Or is this some diversionary tactic to keep me off the stream...
Just trying to figure out where you are heading.

Tight Lines,
Old 04-12-2012, 12:55 PM

tnflyfisher is right, those campsite numbers are located on Noland Creek. By your description, it does seem like you're talking about Noland, but you said you've fished it before

Last edited by hauntedbywaters; 04-12-2012 at 01:11 PM..
Old 04-12-2012, 01:42 PM

Bah, yeah Noland is what I meant, don't know why I typed Forney; I transposed the two. Actually I do know why: posted before coffee.

Edited the post to what it shold have been. Thanks guys.

I put the Tap 357 in my platy bladder, as it didn't sound like you were coming Kevin. You are thinking about coming again now? Perhaps I can pick up another bladder on the way.