Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 04-10-2012, 05:17 PM

Default Trip Report Easter Week!

PART 1

I had hoped to construct the proper fishing report as per LRO Forum instructional guidelines recently introduced but I figure screw it, I will just write stuff and put in photos.

I traveled with my wife and two retrievers one being a Chesapeake Bay retriever. On the 400 plus mile drive from the North my old reliable Suburban started getting tired and coughing and sputtering. I was delayed about two hours in middle Tennessee where I laid under the vehicle and changed a fuel filter. Got soaked in gas but did not fix it. I arrived and visited family for the first could of days. My first fishing day was spent under the vehicle again working on it. It is running better but not perfection.

I was finally able to get to The Snowbird. My wife took the two dogs and my son (In the Army on leave) along with the new “Fiance” (I’m not impressed) hiking while I went fishing.

As soon as I tied on the right flies the games were on. I used a #12 Yellow Stimulator and a #12 Tellico BH and they equally preformed perfectly. I stayed in the same spot for about 1.5 hours and brought about 14 fish to hand. All were released. I continued until I realized the crew had not returned for lunch and had to find them. I recovered them from their 12 mile hike and all were toast.

I think this was the best day of fishing I had in years. There is more to the story but I shall not put it on the open page for all to see. Let’s just say I was shown an error in my “judgment” and quickly corrected my situation upon notification. Luckily my notification was financially painless.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:42 PM

PART 2
If any of you are owners of Chesapeake Bay Retrievers you know that if there is a puddle of water on the ground, the dog is swimming.

I took the crew up to Fires Creek a tributary of the Hiwasee on the NC side. The stream was a lot smaller and the Chessie thought it was for swimming and not fishing. I caught a couple of small bows but fish are surprisingly spooked by 80 pound Brown Dog buttocks.

I decided to travel to the Nantahala and try the DH Section on Wayah Road. The water was great and roadside all of the area that I fished. There were no shortage of fishermen and bent lines as the word was out that the bite was on. I fished for a good hour and finally got a Nymph bite on a Prince. I was able to pick up some good fish and brought 8 to hand before my time was up.

****No trout were harmed during the making of this posting ****

Old 04-10-2012, 06:25 PM

Pictures of trout and dogs, I'd say that had all the makings of a proper post. Glad you got the suburban going.

Thanks for taking the time and posting.

Last edited by buzzmcmanus; 04-10-2012 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: stupid autocorrect
Old 04-10-2012, 06:28 PM

Nice pictures and report.
Were you fishing the hatchery supported section?
Old 04-10-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Nice pictures and report.
Were you fishing the hatchery supported section?
On the advice of my Attorney I will have to remain silent on this issue
Old 04-13-2012, 12:59 PM

Nice report, and great pictures!

Sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing with us.

Scott