Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-16-2012, 01:56 PM

Default Hazel Creek 4/13 - 4/15

This weekend I made my first trip over to Hazel Creek with three friends. We headed up to campsite 85 on Friday and were able to get our campsite set up in time to fish some on Friday evening. I brought one small rainbow to hand and had another one that got off before I could get him out of the water. (with a 40 lbs pack my net was left out to lighten the load).

I caught two more on Saturday and three as we hiked out on Sunday. While I can certainly see why this stream is fabled, I was somewhat disappointed with the number of strikes in some really nice water. There were various hatches during my time there but the top water feeding was inconsistent at best. I also tried some nymph fishing but I must confess that I have a long way to go when it comes to my nymph fishing skills. I'm not sure if the recent strange weather had anything to do with the somewhat slow fishing ,but if I had to guess I would say we were about three weeks two early. I would expect the dry fly fishing to improve each week as the weather warms.

As is our custom on our backcountry trips we always try to have a fish fry one night and I'm glad to say Hazel Creek cooperated and we are able to keep the tradition alive.

It was a wonderful weekend.