Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 04-23-2012, 05:14 PM

Looks like a nice trip!

I have to say, I not only enjoy but also appreciate it when others post pics of their fishing adventures... I have only fished a handful of streams on the TN side so it's nice to actually get a chance to "see" other water that I haven't fished yet...

By the sound of your report, it looks like I will be focusing my efforts from #74 up to #71 when I head over to Forney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifish4wildtrout View Post
I can't believe the lost hikers had cell service out there.
MB was emailing me fishing reports from the backcountry on Noland Creek when he was there last week. I assume that he must have found mobile service out there somewhere in order to do so...

Tight Lines,
Old 04-23-2012, 06:06 PM

We met you on the trail as you were coming out. Told some folks passing by about the Honeymooners, they got a kick out of that. "Where are the exit signs?"
Old 04-23-2012, 08:27 PM

Talking Nice trip - I'm jealous

I really wish I could get out for a nice stretch of time like that

I want to know was the guy mad before or after you offered to get the young lady out of her wet clothes

Just kidding - I bet you really saved thier ***.

Looks like you had a heck of a trip, and let me know if your still coming in late May and we'll get to that other section of stream you wanted to hit
Old 04-23-2012, 08:38 PM

Awesome report, Mac. Thanks for taking the time to appreciate the surroundings and for helping the folks in distress. JF
Old 04-24-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
I hope the lost couple was not as arrogant as your posts sound. If they were, I don't know how you kept from giving them a little lesson on "nature" and preparedness.
I didn't take it as arrogant, it was all coming from fear from my opinion. It was too surreal for me and funny to give any lessons. I was mainly focusing on being helpful, calming, and not showing my astonishment.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifish4wildtrout View Post
Looks like an awesome trip. I can't believe the lost hikers had cell service out there.
That was astonishing and surreal unto itself being five or six miles back.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:18 AM

Wow, what a great trip! I am thinking of doing this trail in October. Have you ever taken Forney Ridge Trail all the way down to 71? I will have 4 days and 3 nights instead of 6&5 and want to be sure I won't be rushed to make miles.

Also do you guys use underquilts or are you still using sleeping pads? I bought a double layer hammock and would like to avoid the cost of an underquilt until I know I like it. Slipping my sleeping pad between the layers seems an ideal way to stay on top of it -- but in reading hammock forums a lot of the frequent posters seem to have an attitude of "only the underquilt" or you aren't comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnflyfisher View Post
MB was emailing me fishing reports from the backcountry on Noland Creek when he was there last week. I assume that he must have found mobile service out there somewhere in order to do so...
Tight Lines,
I can send 41 character messages for 10 cents each with my SPOT connect satellite device, but I actually had cellular reception on Noland, which is why I was also receiving your replies.

There are a lot of places in the back country that you can get service if you just walk up the nearest ridge. Above Elkmont seems to be the exception however, haven't been able to find service there at all.

-Matt-
Old 04-25-2012, 01:37 PM

Mac,
Great trip and pictures. My first backcountry trip in the smokies was on Forney. CS # 70. We were too young & stupid to put a car at the bottom. The walk back up wasn't fun. Did you fish Jonas Creek while you were there?
Old 04-25-2012, 06:31 PM

Matt,

Both Colby and I have always just used a mat for our hammocks. Seems to work just fine for spring to fall in the area for us. Weights less and costs less.

This was our first time on Forney so dont have any insight into any other ways in. Someone with more knowledge of the area might be able to provide better information.

Lexfly,

We did look at Jonas and at the time it was looking really good even though we did not fish it. We never saw another fisherman all six days except during our hike out the last day so there was plenty of water on Forney to fish. Just the right size for the two of us to fish together and stay close.

I wanted to stay close to my brother, it would have been bad if he got lost.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:38 AM

Very nice trip report and photos. Plus, any time spent with family is a plus.