Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-25-2012, 09:45 PM

Default what about Abrams Creek?

Is this a good place to fish? Is it similar to Elkmont or Greenbriar? What are the characteristics? I have a 12 year old and a 75 year old with me - we are looking for places to fish that are fairly accessible from the road.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:48 PM

Abram's is probably the slickest stream you will ever fish. It is like walking on greased bowling balls. Just hit the Little River, good access and nice fish.

Last edited by narcodog; 04-26-2012 at 09:35 AM..
Old 04-26-2012, 12:42 AM

Abrams is no place for the average 6 year old, or 75 year old either. Very difficult wading, to the point of actually being dangerous.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:29 PM

Default Ditto

All the other responses are right on as to the difficulty wading Abram's Creek. The rock in the stream bed comes up at an angle and is slicker than an oiled banana peel.

You might try Anthony's Creek or the spring creek section that feeds into Abram's at the trail head. Instead of crossing the bridge and walking toward Abram's Falls, you take a right and follow the creek. This section has smaller fish, but also a sandy versus rocky bottom. It has a trail so access is fairly easy as well. Just keep an eye open for snakes. I have seen a few banded water snakes along the creek in this direction. They are harmless but can be ill tempered

Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 04-26-2012, 01:55 PM

My vote is for the Middle Prong of LR or the West Prong LR, going toward Gatlinburg. Never fished Abrams but have it on the list to fish the horseshoe.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:45 PM

It can be a dangerous place to fish. Gave it up years ago. If you get hurt on the horseshoe there is no good way out. Have a couple of buddies and take a wading staff. Plan ahead to get to the take out before darkness gets you.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:23 PM

Agree with all the comments on Abrams. It is no place for anyone if your not on your game as far as conditioning and really IMO shouldn't be done alone. I had to hike out from just above the falls with a 3" gash in my hand many years ago that required about 10-12 sutures. Twist or break an ankle in there and your going to be in some trouble. The Little shoe is not too bad, but the Big shoe on Abrams is a day in the making.

IMO it all went down hill when they lifted the Trophy status off Abrams so I haven't fished it in years.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodog View Post
Abram's is probably the slickest stream you will ever fish. It is like walking on greased bowling balls. Just hit the Little River, good access and nice fish.
I agree! I would not even think of taking an elder or a child fishing there...It is slicker than ice and I have never fished anywhere worse than Abrams. Plan on sliding and taking a dip if you do...
to choose, to respond, to change.”