Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-06-2012, 09:21 AM

Default Clinch Trifecta

Had an awesome Saturday on the Clinch; started with SM just after the early rain up river running BHPT's under float and landed wicked awesome chunky brown about 19 or 20, several really nice bows and brookies . Just before Noon 30 I landed a very hefty bow as big as previous brown. As generation was to start we walked out for lunch.

After we moved down to Church we finally meet HH (Guru of the Holston) who was on his way out (recognized him from his manicure LOL) and asked to see his fly boxes! Hugh graciously shared several flies that I will certainly reproduce and add to my boxes shortly.

Fishing was tough through the afternoon; sparse hatch of tannish sulphers
but managed to land several chunky brookies and couple smaller bows on a flashback doing a dry/dropper with one laned on the dry.

Should have tied on Hugh's splitcase but decided to not risk losing it. Moreover I should tied on my own unweighted foam bubble surface nymph as the beads were runing under the fish that were mostly ignoring the dries and eating hard into the film on emergers.

An awesome day; sadly I have to work until at least Thursday and can do it again.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:24 PM

Congrats!

Now you know why many us here are passionate about the Clinch.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:50 PM

Corbo,

Glad you caught some decent fish on the river Saturday. I was at the church all day on Saturday and it was tougher this week for me. The hatch got going good around 3:00 and went till the water came up at 6:00. The fish I saw eating good insisted on feeding in the flat water above the riffles. They were especially tough. Emergers were about the only thing I could get a look with and there were not many at that. Split case took one fish. Puff daddy's caught a few more. Crackelback's were working pretty well for one guy fishing near me. Fun day all in all.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:06 AM

Corbo,
Had a great time fishing with you man! Great amount of fly fishing information and a cordial fishing partner! You should have tried my mayfly spinner pattern and fished it mad skill style.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 05-07-2012, 10:00 AM

Fellows,
It was good meeting all of you on the Clinch. It's nice to put a face with names. I hope to run into all of you again. I've sure seen some nice fish this year.
Hugh
Old 05-07-2012, 11:31 PM

Shawn; I would have to say that watching you throw a size 14 sulphur flat poly-wing spinner during the morning when there was no hatch and giving it a few twitches to entice a strike time and again was crazy awesome.... would not think it possible until I saw you do it several times!

So it looks like I will Need to tie up a few and try it myself; there is no doubt that the Clinch loves you as much as you love her....

Wish we had got a close-up photo of that chunky brown and looking forward to hitching up with a brown over 24 inches.... perhaps we trow those flat wing spinners and twitch them after dark some time?

If I were in charge of things at TWRA I would definitely stock more browns on the Clinch even if it meant reducing the rainbow stocking.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Shawn; I would have to say that watching you throw a size 14 sulphur flat poly-wing spinner during the morning when there was no hatch and giving it a few twitches to entice a strike time and again was crazy awesome.... would not think it possible until I saw you do it several times!

So it looks like I will Need to tie up a few and try it myself; there is no doubt that the Clinch loves you as much as you love her....

Wish we had got a close-up photo of that chunky brown and looking forward to hitching up with a brown over 24 inches.... perhaps we trow those flat wing spinners and twitch them after dark some time?

If I were in charge of things at TWRA I would definitely stock more browns on the Clinch even if it meant reducing the rainbow stocking.
I love throwing dries right now even though they are prevalently taking nymphs. I think my dry technique makes them think there is a hatch starting or it works off their recent feeding instinct. Anyway; it was nice to see a large bow come up take it.

Yeah, I have some pictures of your larger fish; but, we were too far apart to really tell what was going on...

Nice to meet Hugh on the water. I a great ambassador for our sport!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 05-08-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
I think my dry technique makes them think there is a hatch starting
Care to expand on that?

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Old 05-08-2012, 11:04 AM

When you drift an area so many times that you create your own hatch and get the fish looking up...

In the park I am often too stubborn to tie on a nymph or even fish a dropper, so I resort to using repeated drifts and sometimes various versions of dancing dry fly kung-fu if necessary in order to get the fish to the surface.

Tight Lines,
Old 05-08-2012, 01:44 PM

Old Adirondack Mt. trick of fishing "spiders"....look it up. Basically, the trout has a brain and can therefore learn after being stuck, pricked, hooked numerous times, therefore it learns that an insect moving/jerked is a REAL one and not going to hurt it.

A neuron is a neuron no matter what species it happens to be sitting in, except maybe a 15 y.o. male!