Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-05-2012, 09:43 AM

Having a bad day doesn't justify being cussed. My dad didn't cuss me and I'm sure not going to let someone else do it. You've paid your money and I wouldn't blame you for leaving off the tip. People do have bad days but that doesn't mean you give up on the effort of doing a good job. I know my day would get better if I had a good tip in my front pocket.
I was guided in Panama City and I cast crappy, didn't allow for the wind, etc. and my guide had a good time with it. His name is Capt. Rob Cochran.
Lynn
Old 05-05-2012, 12:42 PM

Used the same guide during the hard-to-fish times because he can put you on large trout. Did have one instance where he was short with me and found out a week later that he had been diagnosed with cancer the day before we went out. He didn't say anything about it, but did explain his behavior.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:04 PM

Default good start

Used a guide for the first time in March out of Marco Island, south Florida. My eight year old grand daughter and I arrived at the dock at 7 AM to find a smiling young fella who not only put us on fish but was an absolute joy with Lydia. She talked about our trip all week. He requested photos to post to his website (which he did) and was very flattering in his remarks about our trip. Needless to say, he got a good tip and will certainly see us again!

Seems to me that fly fishing may well be the most difficult type of fishing to guide, especially if it is someone new to the sport. Personally, I would think hard before I committed to it, especially in the park. I have watched guides with clients wading on the Clinch and almost always see the client struggle with casting. To try to teach casting while also instructing on the finer points of line management, drift, hook set, etc., yeah, I can see where tempers might flare.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:32 PM

This guy: search
fly fishing guide amelia island

They designed Ducolox suppositories with him in mind!

Not only did I have to jump his boat off that morning for the dead battery in it. The guy yelled just about every cast I made, AND at my 12 year old son too. My son finally just gave up. The jerk even said as my son started putting on some sun screen, "just let him burn, it will give him a good base". He was put out IF you dared ask him a question about the area and was truly a piece of work! I obviously didn't tip him and I cut the day short after catching one redfish!

Last edited by Flat Fly n; 05-05-2012 at 10:46 PM..
Old 05-06-2012, 08:16 AM

I gotta bunch of grouchy friends that are guides, does that count? Na, they are all good people and have a great disposition, on and off the water. You hear plenty of war stories though and just like any profession - there is the good, the bad, and then sometimes the down right ugly.

Flat, hate to hear that, but thanks for the heads up. I'm heading to St Augustine soon, and was thinking of using a guide - there is a ridiculous amount of fishy water around there. That site popped up in my previous searches. Regardless, probably am leaning toward just using the money on a kayak and go exploring on my own...
Old 05-06-2012, 09:21 AM

A couple of years ago my wife and I floated and fished the Snake in Grand Teaton National Park. While the guide was pleasant enough it was obvious he had other things to do that day. Other then that all of the fishing guides I have been with have been very competent and friendly. I can't say the same with all of the hunting guides I have been with over the years. I also have heard a lot of negative comments on fishing guides in Florida. I think when you hire a good guide you should be able to learn something from him that day. After all he should know the water better then you and the habits of the fish. If he doesn't you did not need him. I also think it is important to listen to the guide because of this. It does you little good to have hired a guide and then not follow his advice.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:20 PM

"I think when you hire a good guide you should be able to learn something from him that day. After all he should know the water better then you and the habits of the fish. If he doesn't you did not need him. I also think it is important to listen to the guide because of this. It does you little good to have hired a guide and then not follow his advice."

Being impatient at a kid because he can't handle an 8wt rod or the Dad because at that time I couldn't pick up 50-60ft. of line and with one backcast shoot it again is not advice......it's idiotic, and certainly not worth $400 for that kind of abuse.

Good luck with that kayak..lots of great water down there and certainly alot more peaceful than..."no no, not that way".. We still laugh about that jerk, although it wasn't funny at the time.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:47 PM

I've hired a guide twice, once in the Smokeys and once in Yellowstone. Both times were enjoyable. The guide treated my son (12 yrs old in Smokeys and 14 yrs old in Yellowstone) with respect and acutally gave him more attention than they did me. As his dad, that is what I was hoping for. They both were rewarded with good tips.

The guy in yellowstone even had a mishap with the shuttle service that took his truck and trailer to the pull out point. When we got there, the keys were not in the box under his bumper. He had to call them and it took about an hour to show up with the keys. Instead of being upset about it, we all went below a nice shade tree and talked fishing. My son and I waded out in the Madison a little and fished. The guide had some candy in his pack and gave it to my son because he was hungry.

When he learned we were going to be fishing a few more days, he got out his map, marked a couple good places to fish inside the park and gave us a handfull of flies he thought would work.

The time in the smokeys was our first time fishing there. I told the guide that we were more interested in learning how to fish there than catching a bunch of fish. He did put us on some really nice fish but he listened and spent most of the day talking about how to read the water, hiding behind rocks and high sticking, approaching the water, etc. Basic stuff but to a newbie it was good information and helped establish our baseline for fishing the streams in the GSMP. If memory serves me correctly, he also handed us a bunch of flies at the end of the day.

I'm sure either of these guys could have been surly on a bad day. It does stink though when you spend good money and catch a fellow on a day when he got up on the wrong side of the bed.

Jeff
Old 05-08-2012, 06:29 PM

Some days you get chicken; other days you get feathers. I guess that is about the same with guides. I have "guided" people on the Hiwassee, unofficially as a courtesy, and pointed out places where to fish, flies, etc. Forgive me if I might sound conceited but I have never felt the need for a guide, unless it would be for a driftboat if needed. I have fished for about 60 years and am "sot in my ways." If I had a bad guide like some have described, I would report him/her to an appropriate agency or licensing organization.