Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 05-07-2012, 11:49 AM

I agree on the fish guts good job ducky. Here is my entry from this weekend to tag onto your post:

Several green inch worms in there and one huge green caterpillar. I always fry my catch up streamside. This time it smoked up really bad and smoke was wafting all over the adjacent area. I always am thinking a bear will smell it and join me but none so far.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 05-07-2012, 01:53 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
BTW, what is the pink fly?
Yes NDuncan is correct - it's the Pink Weenie!

They work great in any color like Byrons Green. The pink in great when the water is up as they are easy to see

Thanks everyone else for you kind responses

Crockett - I figure there might be a line on that stream with the forced rest period. Glad you got to go. I figure I might hike in from the top on a Wed and take advantage of that rest period myself. I love that stream - it's great looking directly downstream and seeing tree tops
Old 05-07-2012, 04:06 PM

Ughh... and here I let some girls talk me into drinking tequila this weekend and look what I missed out on...

Trust me, I was there in spirit DP. Hopefully you will feel an inkling to hit that stretch again here in the near future...

Tight Lines,
Old 05-07-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnflyfisher View Post
Ughh... and here I let some girls talk me into drinking tequila this weekend and look what I missed out on...
You let that stop you? My wife dragged me all around Sat night until almost 4 am and JayB picked me up at 7:30... I said I don't care if I am puking all the way up the trail, I'm going fishing! (I didn't, but I felt like crap until I started catching fish... )
Old 05-07-2012, 04:45 PM

Haha... I was out to 4am as well and if I could just snap my fingers and be at the park in 20 minutes, you would have definitely seen me out on the stream Sunday. Unfortunately, that's not an option and the reality of the situation is that it involves 7 hours of round trip driving. However, don't mistake my taste for Patron as a sign of weakness or lack of 'hardcoreness'. I am up in the park a lot, even without living next door...

Tight Lines,
Old 05-07-2012, 08:48 PM

Great report and pics, as usual.

I think I know where you were. Would you do it solo?

Mike
Old 05-07-2012, 09:18 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear View Post

I think I know where you were. Would you do it solo?

Mike
I wasn't trying to keep the stream a secret. Just trying to stay on that fine line between getting the info out (may have to add 2+2 together - or e-mail me & ask), and not trying to upset the anti-naming comittee

As for solo. I have not done it yet. I'm pretty cautious though. I know plenty of people who dive in much deeper solo without incident all the time. On the other hand, I broke a finger ther on Sunday, and with the temp displacement on the manway, one without a good GPS, or map & compass skills could spend alot of time in the rhodo. The rhodo is pretty thick. Freddie and I decided to cut across the rhodo because we knew it would intersect the manway. It took us an hour to go 100 yards

If you want better verbal directions on how to find the manway, I will be happy to provide them to you. I usually am against flagging, but there was one spot that if we would have not seen it, we would have missed the entrance to the rhodo tunnel out, and I'm glad to whoever put it there. It will be a little easier going than when we found it Just make sure to let someone know exactly where you are. I'm lucky enough to have friends that would come to look for me that night as opposed to the park service waiting till the next day. Also many of the trees have been knotched, and while faint will keep you on course. It also seems to follow some big trees, so if you lose it that may get you back on track. From top to bottom it goesCreek bottom area - Rhodo - Open - small stream - Open - another stream - Getting thicker and hard to follow - Rhodo tunnel - Stream confluence.

If you go please post a report
Old 05-08-2012, 04:22 PM

I still have yet to do much exploring in that watershed...
Old 05-08-2012, 08:13 PM

Ducky,

I'm itching to get in there . Hopefully my fishing buddy can get a kitchen pass soon. If not I'll do it solo. When I get ready to do it I'll get some more info from you.

I do always leave my plans with the motel folks or my wife if she is dropping me off. I have gotten wiser with age.

Love your reports! They're always great and make me envious. It's a three hour drive for us but we still make it as often as possible, which ain't near enough for us.

Mike