Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-08-2012, 09:53 PM

Glad ya'll had a good day! I was out the day before on Friday afternoon and did fantastic on the streach betwixt Mas. and the rif below Millers Is. Fly of the day was a Tung BH quasi-PT flash back tied on a sz 14 2457 TMC hook floated about 12" below a yarn indie. Caught two 17" bows back to back and quite a few in the 12-14" range though those runs. The supher hatch was marginal and the fish were getting in the lanes to sip the emerging nymphs as they struggled to hatch.

aa
2Timothy2:15
Old 05-09-2012, 07:35 AM

AA; good call on your fly choice and depth, I did about the same area the same way the following day!
Old 05-09-2012, 07:47 AM

Wilson 10

Shawn had a size 14 sulphur SPINNER, NO Hackle just flat tie dun poly wings. He cast it into slow side water and chugged & twitched "bass bug style" and recieved savage strikes.

It is entirely possible that during the overnight hours there was a spinner fall so the fish are accustomed to seeing dying mayflies on the surface.

Actually fishing during a spinner fall is a rare event for most people; it has happened to me only a few times and I do not carry flies to "match" them.

Too often we ASSUME so much about trout behavior; surprises keep it interesting. While it's nice to just go out and catch trout on the seemingly can't miss times I much enjoy tougher fishing like saturday afternoon at the church when the fish had about seen everything by the time I got there... still managed several nice fish but boy did I need to work for them.

Hope to have some of HUGH's split cases made up by Saturday but the CABLE GUY is coming that morning to fix the mess he made last week so I don't know if I will make it.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnflyfisher View Post
When you drift an area so many times that you create your own hatch and get the fish looking up...
I completely agree with this idea and I have utilized it many times with quick-subtle-repetitive casts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Shawn had a size 14 sulphur SPINNER, NO Hackle just flat tie dun poly wings. He cast it into slow side water and chugged & twitched "bass bug style" and recieved savage strikes.

It is entirely possible that during the overnight hours there was a spinner fall so the fish are accustomed to seeing dying mayflies on the surface.

Actually fishing during a spinner fall is a rare event for most people; it has happened to me only a few times and I do not carry flies to "match" them.

Corbo, I was actually trying to not mimic a spinner and fishing size 12s. I have been wearing them out on this pattern/technique and I do not plan on throwing anything but dries for the next month or so....This is my time of year for dry humping it.

Here is the pattern I am throwing.
  • Size 12-14 hook
  • sulphur dry fly dubbing
  • wing (grey poly + strip of black antron)
  • figure 8 wrap the wing and then wrap several times parachute style to keep them up-swept-*the idea is not to mimic a spinner, but to mimic an adult dry with up-swept wings.
  • add some cement to the wing base to keep them high.
  • don't add hackle as it will mask the thorax profile-idea is to promote quick recognition for the trout
  • fish fairly tight and allow it to drift past your cast landing, then finger twitch to induce strikes.
  • also works spectacular in fast water...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 05-09-2012 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: Changed the picture size to fit the screen better :)
Old 05-09-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnflyfisher View Post
When you drift an area so many times that you create your own hatch and get the fish looking up.

If this were possible I could go to the Clinch or any other river, tie on any fly I choose and if I drift it enough times the fish will eventually think it is a hatch and start eating a fly no matter how absurd it might be for where ever I am fishing.

Anyone who believes the above please raise your hand?
Old 05-09-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
If this were possible I could go to the Clinch or any other river, tie on any fly I choose and if I drift it enough times the fish will eventually think it is a hatch and start eating a fly no matter how absurd it might be for where ever I am fishing.

If you were to go back and reread my post, you would see that I made no mention of the Clinch or any other body of water for that matter, nor did I indicate that any random fly would work. I was specifically describing a technique that I use for fishing streams in the park. I know you can't see me but I am letting you know that I have my hand raised...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
I completely agree with this idea and I have utilized it many times with quick-subtle-repetitive casts.
Apparently others do as well...

Tight Lines,
Old 05-10-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:

I put $10,000 down on it if you have the balls to show up this time.

You drinking again Jim Jordan or experiencing that little man's syndrome again? I thought we had a talk about this last time and how you were going to try and do better(?) I saw your ride at Miller's Sunday and I am sure we will run in to each other...

I have one of the most varied fly boxes you will ever see and I catch fish consistently on anything I throw. Now your philosophy of throwing a bhpt would bore me to death and I would rather fish with worms if that is all I threw...

Old 05-10-2012, 01:18 AM

I think Brook trout are beautiful but they are so absolutely foolish, gullible and MOOCHIE that I do believe they will eat anything they might even imagine is food. It bores the crap out of me to catch them; and i consider them "by-catch".

No doubt TWRA stocks them in the Clinch so people can feel successful fly fishing when the rainbows are fussy and the brown trout are totally tight lipped.

I caught a pile of brookies Saturday afternoon at the Church in water that had been totally SPANKED ALL DAY. I fished a spot after two guys left in disgust and still caught brookies and a couple bows.

So then this dude (about 60 and old enough to know better manners) totally tramples in front of me across the flow I'm fishing into with a dry-dropper and says, "Excuse me; I'm just passing through" and then proceeds to CAST his way through 20 feet away from me and tramples over the water I'm fishing. Well the dude had a CREEL on his hip and the last I saw him it was still empty.... not talented enough to catch a fool brookie.

SO If ANYONE is making a claim that they can throw something long enough to give the appearance of a hatch to fish in a river (any river) and expecting to catch fish.... I would expect it to be brook trout that would put up with someone casting over them 200 times to "create the illusion of a hatch" and then catch the fish... fact is if brook trout are in the water you are fishing you will likely catch them regardless of fly. presentation or spanking the crap out of them.

withdraw your bet Shawn.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
I put $10,000 down on it if you have the balls to show up this time.

You drinking again Jim Jordan or experiencing that little man's syndrome again? I thought we had a talk about this last time and how you were going to try and do better(?) I saw your ride at Miller's Sunday and I am sure we will run in to each other...

I have one of the most varied fly boxes you will ever see and I catch fish consistently on anything I throw. Now your philosophy of throwing a bhpt would bore me to death and I would rather fish with worms if that is all I threw...

You didn't see my ride at Millers on Saturday, I haven't fished at Millers in probably 15 years, and haven't been on the Clinch since March. I was deep in the woods.

My wording was poor, and we can certainly catch fish on a wide variety of flies to each of our liking or choosing. And as I have said before, I am stuck in a horrible rut when it comes to pattern variations on our tailwaters. I do not doubt for one second that fish can be caught on any manner of patterns, and most of the patterns that you post up here would work.

I was referring to tricking fish into thinking a hatch is starting. Like a lot of wild critters, fish are pretty in tune with what is going on around them, and duping them into thinking it is a hatch is difficult to believe.

Duping them into eating a wide variation of flies is not hard to believe, and I absolutely agree that many many different flies will work, and many times something random can work better than an old stand by. Hope that clarifies my post from last night.

Don't be so touchy, I wasn't trying to start any pissing matches, not this time
Old 05-10-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
You didn't see my ride at Millers on Saturday, I haven't fished at Millers in probably 15 years, and haven't been on the Clinch since March. I was deep in the woods.

My wording was poor, and we can certainly catch fish on a wide variety of flies to each of our liking or choosing. And as I have said before, I am stuck in a horrible rut when it comes to pattern variations on our tailwaters. I do not doubt for one second that fish can be caught on any manner of patterns, and most of the patterns that you post up here would work.

I was referring to tricking fish into thinking a hatch is starting. Like a lot of wild critters, fish are pretty in tune with what is going on around them, and duping them into thinking it is a hatch is difficult to believe.

Duping them into eating a wide variation of flies is not hard to believe, and I absolutely agree that many many different flies will work, and many times something random can work better than an old stand by. Hope that clarifies my post from last night.

Don't be so touchy, I wasn't trying to start any pissing matches, not this time
I can appreciate your clarification and I respect your point.

However, I do disagree about creating an artificial hatch. The logic and correct method allows for this to be possible. ....Not saying you can trick a trout to thinking there is a mayfly hatch in December....but, if you can trick them to taking a dry sulphur-why not trick them in to thinking there is a hatch with repetitive approaches of the same fly...?

I have tons of new video with my new HD Hero. However; my pc is super slow at editing the high-end video. I will try and put together a video illustrating my idea and how I fish it both from the fisherman perspective and the trout perspective underwater.

SM